1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Defeaturing" - Where is it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HaroldL, Oct 27, 2019.

1. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

I see that Defeaturing/Model Simplification is listed as one of the tools/features of Alibre Design Expert. However when I try a Search in the Help manual nothing comes up. Sorta begs the question: "Where is it?".
    I've tried several variants of "Defeaturing" and "Model Simplification" all with the same "No topics found" results.

Attached Files:

2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

That's direct editing. You'll see it in the part modelling workspace. Handy for removing features or making quick 'on the fly' adjustments.

3. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

I know about direct editing, I've used it several times to modify/edit imported parts. But how would anyone use it for Defeaturing an assembly? It would be nice if it were in the Help manual. Seems odd to advertise a feature and not have at least a video of what tools to use and how it's done.

4. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Harold -- A real User's Guide with both an Index and a Lexicon (to translate terms into "conventional drafting" language) is what is really needed!!! -- Lew

5. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

6. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Defeaturing is a marketing term. Basically remove things not necessary for other people to know when you export and send them a STEP file.
    It can be accomplished with the direct editing tools, by filling internals with extrudes, or something as simple as suppressing features prior to export.