1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cut Pattern - Drawing view alignment

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by PaulProe, May 16, 2018.

1. PaulProe

PaulProe Senior Member

Is t;here a way to put multiple views of the same part on a drawing and then align them to one another so as to create a cut pattern?

Cutting pieces in steel for a prototype and if I align the parts correctly, I can cut down the number of sawcuts needed.

Yea, I could make an assembly of the part and constrain one to another but that just seems backwards. And I can't find how to tie one view to another other than just physically eyeballing it.

I've attached a copy of the drawing. I just aligned them on the base but if it were possible, easily, I'd also stack them on the side angles to cut the sawing even more

Paul

Attached Files:

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

There is currently no simple way to align views in a 2D drawing to each other - there is an enhancement request in place to add some options for that.

3. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

And, in addition to Paul's question would be to optimize the layout and cutting of Parts from "sheet materials" (plywood, sheetmetal, etc.) with a given "cutting allowance" driving "spacing."

4. oldfox

oldfox Senior Member

Paul,
    I've made many *drawings* of wood working projects using sheet goods and used for parts layout and cutting. I just started with the
    overall size of the material sheet and then started drawing the parts and placing them in the most effective positions. That gave me
    all of the tools of Part design to move, rotate, copy, align etc. and then extruded that of course, That would then be a single *view* in your drawing.

5. dlaery

dlaery Senior Member

well, i had started to post this question and gave up before I read this, even had it typed out.
    this is the way I do this to get the "drawings" lined up, by creating more parts in an assembly and nesting. I was looking for a simpler way to this. yes, i agree this seems backwards.
    I drew an assembly kind of a work bench made out of 4x8 sheets of wood. after I am done I do a save as and rename the assembly to "my name of the assembly" with "part list" added to the name. then I delete all of the constraints and then constrain every thing to a flat pattern and do a nesting onto 4x8 sheets. that way i know how many I am going to need to buy and when I nest them I put a saw cut distant between each part, then make a drawing of that to know how to cut everything. now these screenshots of the pics are not constrained yet, My question was going to be, how can I simplify this process and/or what can I do if i modify the original assembly without having to do a save as again and re-layout everything again?
    these are some quick screenshots to show some of the drawings hopefully my madness makes some sense.

Attached Files:

6. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Other than using a nesting program you could make a Patterned Configuration of your part and place a view of that on your drawing. If you have multiple shapes to nest then maybe creating an assembly of the nested parts and make a drawing of that. You'd need to calculate the waste from cutting of course and space the parts accordingly.
    pattern layout.png
    For nesting, take a look at SVG Nest. It claims to be a free, open source nesting program. the online demo looks impressive enough.

Attached Files:

7. oldfox

oldfox Senior Member

I had never heard of SVG Nest. I haven't been doing cutting layouts for some time now. Up to the time I changed roads, the only
    *Software* I found was that soft gray matter between my ears. That never let me down. I'll have to look into SVG Nest on some of
    my old projects and see how it works out. The price is right.:cool::D

8. KMoffett

KMoffett Senior Member

Looks like there is a "small" fee per use of SVGNest.

Ken

9. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Where do you see that? The FAQ states that "It's free and open source. The code and implementation details are on Github."
    Could it be that it's asking for a donation and are you sure you're not looking at Github which has a payment schedule?

10. KMoffett

KMoffett Senior Member

Darn! I can't find the page I was looking at. The more I look It does say "FREE!"

Ken

11. Markaj

Markaj Member

Yes - sometimes once you have the flat profiles its better to export to 2D cad or a nesting programme to work out your sheet usage.

12. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

The irony is that people are asking for features that were available in an Alibre Design Workshop package about 8 years ago.