1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Part Colors

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by GeraldH, Dec 4, 2019 at 9:47 AM.

1. GeraldH

GeraldH New Member

Is there a way to add more custom colors in the color selection window? I almost always use the custom colors over the basic color selection since most of the basic colors are too bold for my taste. Custom Colors.jpg

MKR and bigseb like this.
  2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

+1 on this!

3. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Amen to that! It would be useful to create a custom color palette even.

MKR likes this.
  4. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Gerald -- The following JPG shows the means of "adding colors." You define them and apply them to the Custom Colors designations. -- Lew Alibre Custom Colors.PNG

5. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Welcome Gerald. Did you want to change the colors of the custom colors or add more than the existing 16 custom choices?
    (my confusion)

6. OTE_TheMissile

OTE_TheMissile Alibre Super User

I'd like to expand on this suggestion by including the Reflectivity and Opacity sliders in a custom color menu.

I always model parts as they would appear finished (Management likes the way the assemblies look on the screen) so I have a few combinations for stuff like "black powdercoat" (off-black with 10% reflectivity) or "polished chrome" (a shade of silver at 90% reflectivity), but for the most part they're all stored in my head.

MKR likes this.
  7. GeraldH

GeraldH New Member

I'm thinking more than 16 custom color choices.

8. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

like something you can see after a picture search for "github ColorPickerWPF"?

9. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Got it. Thanks.

10. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

The colour picker as it stands may change if @Max 's v21 plans come to fruition ...

https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/material-library-wishlist.21328/#post-137885

I also remember that there was also a thread on using an Alibre Script colour picker (can't find the link!)

I ended up writing my own add-on which had all my colours/opacity, etc (hard coded) which was driven by the limited builtin colour picker and the fact you have to set the opacity separately. Hopefully the v21 plans will make the whole process much slicker.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 6:17 AM
    GeraldH likes this.