1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy an existing part and then modify

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by MarkTecWiz, Oct 14, 2020.

1. MarkTecWiz

MarkTecWiz New Member

I have tried to copy a file of a part and then try to edit it in an assembly but the software seems to change all the copies even though it has a different file name.

I tried to save the part I want to copy to an new part name. Then edit the part then replace the parts with the old part. This is a big pain too.

I then create a new part in an assembly and then save as the new part name then build up the part.
    Its ok for simple parts .

Does someone have a better copy part to a new name method?

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

3. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Suggestion ... get Alibre to save the filename in the file. Then when you open or try and use that file, Alibre could validate it as being 'original' and saved within Alibre! If Alibre detects it has been edited outside of the application (i.e. renamed), it could create a new GUID making it unique again, then update the internal filename to match the saved filename, hence making it safe and usable (to a degree!)

4. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Or would it break connections for all parts of a project if the project folder is renamed?

5. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Hmmm, probably! Not sure what the simple fix is. Never have this problem with software projects, but then again they are mostly relative file references and an include list of directories for common/across project resources.

6. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Mark -- It really depends on your overall intent. If a Part is used "as is" across Projects, then it needs a location that is common to all the Projects. If a Part is used "independently" then it needs a location and Identity that is specific to each Project independently. Thus, let's say I have Part "Gizmo-20201005 -- Rev New" that is used on one Project and I need a version that is nearly the same, but has some Revisions to use on another Project, then I need to perform a SaveAs to my "new" Project location and to Rename it to (say) "Gizmo-20201014 -- Rev New" in that location and edit it there to make the changes needed for the "new Project." It is not really that hard. -- Lew