1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert Assembly to Single Part

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by jfleming, Sep 29, 2017.

1. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Is there a way to take an assembly and either save it or export it in such a fashion that everything can be opened as one part?

Thanks in advance!

2. Fx.CAD

Fx.CAD Member

In assembly, use "assembly boolean", select the parts you want, uncheck "insert result into current assembly". But in this case you get a "dumb solid", I'm not sure if that is what you want to do ?

jfleming likes this.
  3. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Excellent, that's exactly what I want to do. It's a commercial part that we don't need to modify, EVER. I don't care what pieces there are on it, etc.

Fantastic!

4. jhiker

jhiker Alibre Super User

Let us know if it works OK. I've had mixed success using that assembly Boolean command. I have often had a 'can't do it' report - but no explanation as to why...

5. JL82

JL82 Senior Member

ASSEMBLY -> export *.SAT -> import *.SAT

6. neilr

neilr Senior Member

I am on an older version so everything here may work fine but if you are having issues still then: I will use the boolean intersect when changing an assembly to a dumb solid. Make a cube larger than your assembly and then do the boolean intersect. Then I will export it sat and then import it again to get rid of the boolean in the saved model.

7. neelie2

neelie2 Member

I am experiencing the same problem. Trying to create .stp from an assembly. I have tried Boolean unite, exporting to .sat, save to a part, export to .iges, then export to .stp. Every try results in a .stp file full of all the separate parts. I just want to meld all parts of assembly into one solid model .stp. What am I doing wrong?!

8. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

Just follow JL82's instructions above - then export to STEP if you want a STEP file.

9. neelie2

neelie2 Member

There is no "import" anymore, only "open" a file. Only way to import is from an assembly. I just tried following JL82's instructions. Same result. Opens with 24 different components.

10. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

IMPORT and OPEN were merged some years ago into a single function - just try opening the SAT file from AD Home Window.

11. neelie2

neelie2 Member

and then......... it crashes. .........every time

12. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Neelie,

an example assembly:

upload_2019-7-8_17-42-50.png

then EXPORT

upload_2019-7-8_17-32-26.png

give it a name (and location)

upload_2019-7-8_17-34-9.png

save it.

close the assembly.

then click open from the start window:
    upload_2019-7-8_17-38-21.png

navigate to the location you've exported the file, choose the file and press open.

upload_2019-7-8_17-35-20.png

as the result the file opens in the part enviroment!

upload_2019-7-8_17-41-59.png

No single parts anymore...

Regards
    Stefan

13. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

Upload a package of the assembly if you can. Imported parts with errors may cause problems. Could be other issues. The generic method can work to make a part from an assembly. It will sometimes succeed when Assembly Boolean fails.

14. neelie2

neelie2 Member

The .sat is one solid part but the customer wants .stp. When I export to .stp then open the .stp there are many separate parts. Then Alibre stops working. In uploaded file I somehow merged (what originally was) 4 separate parts into something called 7003-002SF blank. All I want to do is have "fake" housing, "fake" back and front plate and "fake" shaft that I can assemble together (per customer order) and then add on the connectors. Hundreds of different configurations. Then export to .stp. I made the connectors myself and saved as a .prt.
    My original assembly included 6 separate parts. Along the way, trying Assembly Boolean, I must have merged them together. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Attached Files:

15. neelie2

neelie2 Member

Last week I did the same thing, only I created it all as one part. I had no problem creating .stp form that. I'm trying to avoid having to do that for hundreds of different motors.

16. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

An assembly file alone is no good - it doesn't include the parts. That's why I said 'package'. Gem -> Package -> Create Package. OR since not many parts, just upload the part files here too....

Are you saying that if having opened the SAT and trying to export it to STEP it comes out as an assembly again?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  17. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Neelie,

if you want, use "Assembly Boolean"
    add the parts (here board1 and board2) to the "Blanks"
    check "Join All Blanks"
    and for your purpose check also "Insert results into current assembly"
    click "OK"
    upload_2019-7-8_18-22-23.png

This should be the result:
    3 parts in the assembly.

upload_2019-7-8_18-22-49.png

delete the original parts (here board1 and board2):

upload_2019-7-8_18-23-18.png

choose "Export", choose the location, choose the STEP-Format (here STEP AP 214 file(*.stp)) and click save.

upload_2019-7-8_18-32-6.png

Now you should be able to open the new created STEP-file and it will open as an assembly with a single part.

Regards
    Stefan

18. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

OR if doing the assembly Boolean - either

• Don't check 'insert into current assembly' - it will produce a separate part file.
    • or after inserting into current assembly, perform a 'save'. This will save the modified assembly and the new boolean file (a part) - you can than open that file and export in chosen format.

19. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello David,
    the way i suggested was a result of the following words in my mind...
    I thought the less operations with save, open, export and import will minimize the risk of failure.
    Regards
    Stefan

20. neelie2

neelie2 Member

Nope. Still doesn't work. I start with an assembly of 6 parts. Perform assembly Boolean exactly as you have instructed. The separate part file comes up as .sat. Save to .prt. When I open that .prt it still says Imported SAT file. export to .stp - looks like this
    upload_2019-7-8_13-15-44.png