1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constraint Over Defined Excessive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jake_Steidy, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Jake_Steidy

Jake_Steidy Member

Hello All,

I have been working on a sheet metal assembly and one thing that I wanted to bring up to see if anyone else is experiencing is the excessiveness of the status pop up windows. I could be working in the assembly and define a coincident constraint. This sometimes will prompt the Constraint Over Defined status window to popup. So then after closing the status window several times the constraint is still valid but has the red X. I then can apply another coincident constraint to the same part along another face and somehow the previous constraint is now okay. (Sure this could make sense somehow, but it isn't logical at all, if the 1st constraint is overdefined defining another constraint should keep the overdefined status on the previous constraint, because it would be overdefined from the 1st constraint). That is just one place where the overdefined constraint window popup is frustrating.

A second instance is when I am trying to edit part in a separate window and any change I make to that part greets me with a Constraint Over Defined Popup. This could range from me changing a hole spacing to me clicking through the dogbone to see each sheet metal process and getting a popup each time that I have to close to continue. I have clicked a minimum of 50 popups in under 2 hours of design work. Yes I know I can click the little check box that allows me to never see any popups. That isn't the point though, the excessiveness of these popups wasn't a problem that I ever experienced on previous builds and was curious as to if something changed in the settings or if I am just complaining needlessly. (Yes I know constraints have drastically changed in the past build, but the excessive popups shouldn't be a trade-off with having better constraint options.)

Update: 3rd instance, I insert a part into the assembly, don't add a single constraint to the part, then I edit in a separate window. Then I get a Overdefined Constraint Popup when there isn't a constraint even on the part in the assembly yet.

Let me know what your thoughts are and if this is something that others are experiencing or if you've found a fix to this problem.

Best regards,
    Jacob

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

The constant barrage of error messages can be frustrating. If there is a "Do this all the time" or a "Don't tell me..." option on the error message select it before hitting the Cancel button.
    Of course the other option would be to turn them off at the System level in System Properties:

TurnOffPopUps.png

Check your system props and see if by chance "Show popup on errors" is selected.

I thought there was an option to turn off updating the assembly while working on an part or subassy in a separate window but I can't find it now, or I misremembered.

3. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

The issue in this instance is that when you move the dog-bone in the editing part, the geometry after it isn't calculated (so in essence it no longer exists), so any dependencies on that geometry in the assembly throws up errors. The only way top stop that is to do as @HaroldL suggests and turn off popup notifications. It would be nice if this was done automatically when doing an 'in-place edit' or 'edit in separate window', but sadly it's not!

The other related caveat is that you need to regenerate all before exiting the edit, otherwise the part may be saved with the dog-bone not at the bottom of the feature tree and your part will be incomplete to assemblies that use it.

Don't think there is, otherwise I would have found it by now ;) I now just leave 'Show popup on errors' unchecked.

4. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

You can disable Tools > Autoregenerate which is normally on. Then Alibre Design will not automatically update the part in the assembly. You will have to enable or again after editing or manually update the part in the assembly using the F5 key (if set to default key).

Jake_Steidy likes this.
  5. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Thanks, that's what I was thinking of.

6. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

If i make a "wrong" constraint today, i feel (can't give exact details...) you're right, more popups than in the past versions.

Regards
    Stefan

7. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

It's triggered by constraint preview being always on.

8. Jake_Steidy

Jake_Steidy Member

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. I did go the route of turning off the pop ups so I wouldn't be bothered with the constant error popups. If I experience any further errors I will update this thread!

Best,
    Jacob