1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Consistent slowdown and lockup while editing scripts.

Discussion in 'v22 Beta' started by albie0803, Sep 12, 2020.

1. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

When editing a script comment, Alibre slows down and shows not responding. Runs ok if I just load and run a script but quickly locks up when I start to edit a comment.

If I click and drag to highlight a row, as soon as the # is highlighted the cooling fan kicks into high speed. If I then drag left and unselect the # or comment the fan drops back to normal.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Albie - I haven't been able to reproduce this issue. QA so far hasn't managed to reproduce it either.

Has this occurred on more than one script, or is it limited to a specific script? If a specific script can you provide it?

Was this in Part or Assembly workspace?

Do you see CPU load increase? - [EDIT , if so is the increase with Alibre process, or something else? ]

Which version of Windows are you running?

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  3. DavidJ

Albie - this one may sound ridiculous... what Anti-Virus solution do you have in place? Does temporarily disabling it alter the symptoms?

4. albie0803

Eset Antivirus, Windows 10 2004, I'm sure it happened with more than 1 script as I was using bits of 2 to write a 3rd. The beta is on my home machine so I will check tonight.

5. albie0803

One of the scripts I was working on is here

Fixed I pasted the wrong link - maybe.....

Sketch Alignment Oddity in Scripts

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  6. DavidJ

Albie that link to your script doesn't display a destination and gets blocked by my browser - I have tried looking at the page source, so I think I know what thread to look for....

7. albie0803

A bit more investigation shows that it's not actually the comment that's causing the problem, it's the length of the line.

The attached video shows the power load and slowdown as the cursor moves along the line

Attached Files:

8. DavidJ

OK - I can get the CPU usage to spike if I move cursor along a line - it falls back a couple of seconds after I pause. I'll pass your extra detail to QA.

9. DavidJ

This is logged in the Development system. My guess is that it is unlikely to be addressed in time for v22 release, unless it proves to be something trivial to fix.

Thanks for the video, I think we'd have struggled to replicate the issue without that.

10. albie0803

At least scripts run ok but I hope it does get fixed or gets a hotfix as soon as it is fixed. I don't know how many people use scripting but it will be annoying for those of us who do.

11. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

For me the Alibre process spikes to full core usage of CPU and hangs when editing AlibreScripts. It doesn't happen immediately but does has at least every session causing the program to be manually terminated and restarted. I can't pinpoint a specific thing but the last few times it was when I was trying to click or hold down click to drag a selection. Beta build: 22037

I've submitted a beta ticket.

12. NateLiqGrav

13. NateLiqGrav

This is really, Really, REALLY ANNOYING. It makes it impossible to edit any scripts using AlibreScript and many of them are impossible to run.

albie0803 likes this.
  14. albie0803

V22 Should not be released like this. I don't care how long it takes to fix. Or just take the scripting engine changes out.

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  15. NateLiqGrav

I don't think the predictive suggestions is working for me either. It only shows up right after a period is typed/clicked and always starts at the beginning of the whole AlibreScript command list.

16. albie0803

17. juhaszzs

juhaszzs New Member

Not comfortable but I use external editor now and just load and run script from Alibre.

Would be nice switch off autocomplete, syntax highlighting, enable autoreload if I change file externally.

Lew_Merrick likes this.
  18. DavidJ

Nate - that script doesn't freeze v22 for me. On the other hand it does very little for me in v21 either (where it behaves exactly the same).

I can only see any effect from the Boolean check box ,the url at bottom of the dialogue, the OK and Cancel buttons. Everything else is not active - am I supposed to see anything else? Are there any pre-requisites for that script to do anything else... forgive me if the question is stupid.

19. NateLiqGrav

It's only an example dialog I made almost 2 years ago to show users how to program each of the WindowsInputTypes. All it does is show an example dialog. There was and still is no explanation for them in the AlibreScript quick help or documentation.

20. DavidJ

Nate - I understood that much, but was puzzled that I couldn't type into any of the fields... I'm still somewhat puzzled.