1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

configurations

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by dlaery, May 17, 2019 at 7:08 AM.

1. dlaery

dlaery Senior Member

I am going to try to use a new configuration on an assembly
    I have never successfully used this because I don't understand how to use it.
    I understand what it is for.
    I have designed a project that I only want certain parts to show so I can figure out how to build this. then be able to show all again.
    If I had made these certain parts their own assembly in the beginning, then I wouldn't need this configuration,
    I have used drawing and hide these parts but I am still designing and need to edit the assembly.
    so If I create a new configuration, under "locks" does the check mark in the box mean that it is Locked and can't change?
    I want to hide parts and then move or change constraints on parts underneath the hidden parts and then unhide by selecting a different or previous configuration to see the result.
    Am I looking at this the right way?

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

The check mark means the lock is ON for that configuration - so things only change when editing them in that active configuration. Editing another config won't affect this one (and vice versa).

If lock is unchecked (OFF) then changes will affect all unlocked configurations.

Suggest you study difference between Hide and Suppress too.

3. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Some people Lock everything and only unlock what they want to update with other configurations. - But then if something is added it will only be positioned correctly for that configuration.

Because my designs are more like virtual prototypes I typically Lock ONLY the specific things I want locked to that configuration. - BUT I find every configuration should be the same or else switching between them causes unexpected changes.

Hide only works in the 3d level. Everything hidden in 3d will show in a 2d drawing view.

Suppress works like the item does not exist. Constraints are gone then. Will not show in 3d or a 2d drawing view.

We need something in between that hides in both 3d and 2d but retains all constraints.

4. OTE_TheMissile

OTE_TheMissile Alibre Super User

"Hide" simply makes the object invisible. It's still part of the model and any constraints tied to it still function.
    "Suppress" is like a temporary delete. The part being suppressed is removed from the model and any Constraints related to it will either disappear or fail. Unlike deleting the object though, you can bring it all back with a few mouse clicks. You can also Suppress things like features and assembly constraints, and they'll follow that same rule.

So for example, right now I'm working on a luggage rack that mounts to the lid of a cargo trunk on a touring motorcycle. The trick is, the rack is made of two pieces of aluminum plate that slide on top of one another to make the rack larger or smaller depending on the size of whatever you're carrying on it, and I'd like to simulate those two positions in the Assembly model.

One plate has a hole in it for a carriage bolt to pass through, and the other plate has a slot with round ends. I'll make two Configurations, one "CLOSED" and one "OPEN" that will show the rack in either position. To do this, I'll make a pair of constraints that constrain the centerline of the hole to either end of the slot (and call each one "CLOSED" and "OPEN" just so they're easy to find in the Design Explorer). Now normally these two would directly conflict with each other and fail, but what I can do with Configurations is turn on the "Constraint Suppression" lock in the Configuration dialog box and then Suppress one of the locating constraints. Now the remaining constraint succeeds and the assembly snaps into position. I do the opposite with the other Configuration, and now I have one Configuration that shows the rack closed and one that shows it open.

Untitled.png

5. dlaery

dlaery Senior Member

ok thanks, all of this is very helpful. I understand more and it is working for me.