1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

configurations

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by dlaery, May 7, 2018.

1. dlaery

dlaery Senior Member

I have an assembly, i edit a part in separate window, if I want to modify this part to see what it looks like in my assembly, then I would create a new configuration, I want to make it longer, but I want to be able to go back to the original length. I have read the help file on this and don't understand locked and unlocked.
    I am trying again to understand this. I want to try a "different part" without creating a new part.
    do I unlock everything to edit the part and show the new length in the assembly?

Attached Files:

2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

When a configuration is unlocked but not active then any change you make to the active configuration will also affect the inactive one. Locking a configuration simply locks the current state it is in.

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

To expend on what Seb said. Often I will select only Feature Suppression and Parameter Values to be locked. If I only want to vary sizes between configurations, then I'd only lock Parameter Values.

If in doubt, make your new config copied from the original and leave everything locked. From that point forward any changes are independent between the configurations.

As you build more confidence you may wish to alter the locks during a design - but this can get tricky to keep track of.

4. dlaery

dlaery Senior Member

I edited my part in a separate window, created a new configuration, modified my part and made it longer. then while in "edit in a separate window", I can switch back an forth to see the change I made on my 2 configurations. then with the modified config, then when I go back to the assembly, no change. what am I doing wrong?

5. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User

I think you have to close the separate window, to lock in the changes - otherwise you have 2 independent instances of the part open.

6. dlaery

dlaery Senior Member

ok the separate window is closed, then I save the assembly, no change. then I close the assembly, re-open and no change.
    If I edit in same window the change, then I have to activate the 2nd config, when I do that it shows the change. then I click Save which takes me back to the assembly and the change goes back to the original

7. dlaery

dlaery Senior Member

I think it is working now and I don't know what I did. o_O

8. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Optimal workflow:

- Open assembly
    - RC on part and 'edit in separate window'
    - make changes and go back to assembly.
    - SAVE

Changes are available immediately in assembly. No need to close and reopen. But you will need to select that configuration for that part in the assembly tree.

9. dlaery

dlaery Senior Member

Thanks. That's what I thought I did several times.:) but now I know what is supposed to work, thank you

10. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

David -- Did you chane the Active Configuration of the Part in the Assembly?

11. dlaery

dlaery Senior Member

yes,