1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clickety-clickety-clickety-click to do things.... the "centipede with tap shoes"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JST, Mar 4, 2019.

1. JST

JST Alibre Super User

One thing that seems to be an issue with "productivity" using Alibre is that many common actions take a lot of clicks. Many of these actions do not seem to NEED that many, often they exist because you have to go yet another level of window to find the control you want. Others seem to be almost "because we can".

A couple common examples:

Setting color on a part in an assembly.
    I counted that it takes at least 6 clicks to do that. 33% of those clicks are merely navigating to the color window, and navigating back. There seems to be NO reason of any significance why the initial window, that selects transparency etc, could not be combined with the actual color window, which would eliminate two clicks in the process.

The full constraint window has not got the ability to "undo" the last constraint. So it is necessary to unleash a drum solo of clicks to close the window, delete the constraint, open the constraints again, and re-do everything (almost the same if you just edit).
    The abbreviated "quick" window seems to have an undo, there is no reason the FULL window should not have it.

There are a number of additional actions that are "over-clicketized".

It is time for those to be "de-clicked" so that they are not so onerous to use, especially for people who prefer to use menus, and avoid the "ribbon".

I prefer the menus, simply because I go to the same place every time I need the same function.... simpler to deal with when you need to get work out.

cadtec, JL82, jfleming and 1 other person like this.
  2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

You don't like clicking? Steer well clear of Creo...

3. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Clicks are one thing, but doing similar operations many times leads one to realize just how many clicks a number of the actions really take, and then one sees that they are not actually necessary clicks except that the structure of function windows forces them for no particularly good nor obvious reason.

Pro-E (predecessor to CREO) was not so bad 25 years (or whatever) ago.

simonb65 likes this.
  4. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Totally agree about the number of operations to do simple tasks. The fact the Colour dialog doesn't let you store common colours (like the standard windows ColorDialog) inspired me to write my own utilities plugin (very much WIP), but it does let me set colours in 4 clicks. Can't user edit those yet, they are all hard coded, but it gets me closer to where I'd like to be ...

upload_2019-3-5_9-2-57.png

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  5. idslk

idslk Senior Member

Hello Simon,

which programming language do you use for your addins?

TIA
    Stefan

6. simonb65

C++ for the internal add-on and C# for all external applications using the API.

7. idslk

idslk Senior Member

Hello Simon,

Thank you for your answer.
    I see in your picture your color addon is used in parts. Does it work also in assemblies?

TIA
    Stefan

8. simonb65

No, it was written for just the part workspace, the menu is greyed out if you are in the assembly workspace ... however, the bottom option 'TEST' is currently for getting a list of selected entities, with the plan of allowing parts and individual features to be targeted for future operations ...

upload_2019-3-5_16-18-25.png

The Centre of Gravity overlays a CofG symbol and displays the XYZ co-ords on the model ...

upload_2019-3-5_16-20-25.png

upload_2019-3-5_16-22-43.png

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  9. VoltsAndBolts

VoltsAndBolts Senior Member

"centipede with tap shoes"

Now where have I heard that before.... LOL :cool:

10. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

Agreed.

11. idslk

idslk Senior Member

12. JST

JST Alibre Super User

I could not remember the source of that, or I'd have given credit....

If that was you, and I think it was, now that you remind me, it's a great description. Extremely "visual".

I can think of a few OTHER sources of software that should hang up "get rid of the centipede" signs to remind their HMI folks to simplify things,

13. VoltsAndBolts

VoltsAndBolts Senior Member

No problem... consider it my gift to humanity. ;)

oldfox likes this.
  14. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

Talking of setting colors. The method for saving a Custom Color is a bit dysfunctional...

To be specific, saving a Custom Color overwrites the one previously saved, by default...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 3:55 AM
  15. idslk

idslk Senior Member

Hello Miles,

you have 16 custom colors, if you will save a additional, 1 of the old will be overritten.
    As long as you define only 16 they will be saved with Alibre, ready to use with your next parts or assemblies.
    1) you have to choose the place in the palette. (Click into with left mouse button, makes a dashed line around the box)
    2) define your color
    3) press Add to Custom Colors and the color will be set to the choosen preset place.
    upload_2019-3-15_10-55-30.png

I hope the was helpful.

Regards
    Stefan

16. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

Hi Stefan,
    Yes, but why override the first square if you forget to click on the palette before you save? Better to give a warning. The number of times I've done this by accident....
    Also, you set your colour. Now you want to save it. Oh, you need to set a place. Click on the place. Now your carefully crafted colour disappears.
    Not fail safe design.....

Also. What's the greyed out "Define Custom Color" button for?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 5:36 AM
  17. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

It's a Microsoft designed dialog. Every program that uses it has the same experience.

18. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

That's why it's so dire....

jfleming likes this.
  19. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Which square would you suggest be the default square?

Just another "clickety" to exit the warning.

Just another Madison Avenue term. Everything can be broken.

Nothing. It's grayed out.

20. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

I seem to be the only one that has a problem with it's implementation... Fair enough :)