1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot Suppress Pattern or Mirror Features in an Assembly

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by HaroldL, Jul 9, 2019.

1. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

In all the years I've been using Alibre I just came across the issue of not being able to Suppress a Mirror or Pattern (Linear or Circular) in an assembly.

I am working on a small engine model (by small I mean that it is physically about the size of the Alibre coffee mug) that has circular patterns of fasteners on one cylinder that are mirrored to the other.

I came across this while working on a Make Flexible issue with Support. I had a sub assembly with all the fasteners installed/patterned. Then when I inserted it into the main assembly I could not toggle on Make Flexible -- Alibre didn't allow it because of the pattern.

So the next step was to remove all the hardware, insert the sub-assemblies, then install the hardware, pattern and mirror it. It was at this point that I thought to suppress the Mirror to see to send another screen shot to Support. Well, suppress didn't work so I had to start hitting the Delete key. Even if I suppressed the seed fastener it did not suppress in the Mirror.

Not sure if it's important to anyone else but it might be nice to be able to Suppress hardware patterns, especially since it seems Alibre starts to slow down when there are several patterns in the assembly. I notice it a lot with hardware.:(:(

2. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Harold,

may i've didn't understood the issue, but i made a sample assembly with one cylinder (instead of fasteners...), circular patterned it to get 5, saved it and loaded it into a new assembly as a subassembly and mirrored it. Then i suppressed random cylinders from the circular pattern as well as from the mirrored.

upload_2019-7-10_12-28-5.png

upload_2019-7-10_12-28-33.png

upload_2019-7-10_12-30-29.png

Looks ok for me. Or did you meant something other?

Regards
    Stefan

3. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Stefan,
    Yes you can Hide or Suppress individual items in patterns. What I was expecting was that when/if I suppressed or hid a component of the original pattern then the mirror of that component would also be suppressed or hidden. If I suppressed/hid the seed of the pattern then the pattern would be suppressed/hidden. It appears that when Alibre patterns a component then the copies are independent of the seed, the same is true of mirrors. Each patterned or mirrored component is independent of the original.

Pattern Seed No Suppression.png
    No Suppression Menu or Fastener.png

One thing that would be nice to have is that to pattern or mirror a pattern you would only have to select the pattern feature in the Design Explorer. Instead you need to select each component of the pattern to add it to the selection set. As you can see in the images there is no Suppress or Hide option for the Pattern or Mirror. Just something to get used to.

bigseb likes this.
  4. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Understood and i agree.
    Regards
    Stefan

5. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User