1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building New PC - Alibre Hardware Recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phil3, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Phil3

Phil3 Member

I will be building a new PC in the next few months, and have two questions regarding CPU and GPU for Alibre Pro 2019 and potentially Keyshot or other rendering program. My models would be small, expecting under 100 parts. As an aside, same computer may be used for 4k video editing.

1) Best Processor: I know Alibre recommends a high clock speed vs many cores. For around the same price point, that would mean Intel over AMD, but Keyshot says they use all cores, so a plus for AMD. I was thinking of either the Intel i7-9700k (8 core/8 thread and higher clock speed) or the AMD 3700X (8 core/16 thread and slower boost clock speed).

2) Best Graphics Card: Do I need the nVidia Quadro or AMD Radeon Pro series cards? Both are costly. Recommendations? Seems like most anything other than very basic meets Alibre's requirements. Keyshot recommends a Quadro RTX 4000, which costs $882. Yikes! Do I really need that?

I expect to use 16GB or RAM, but will use 32 if warranted. ??? Monitor is 2560 x 1440, 25".

Thanks,

Phil

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

See updated information re graphics card on https://www.alibre.com/alibre-design-software-requirements/

Personally I use an Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti graphics card with my 2560x1440 display. It was the most powerful card I could buy as a fanless design, and so far it seems to cope well. Max has suggested that a card slightly higher up the range would be preferred for a 4K monitor. The HOOPS engine requires a lot more from graphics card than the old graphics pipeline did.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  3. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Keyshot - from what I can tell a higher spec card is needed to make best use of the new GPU mode rendering (from Kesyhot 9), but not for the CPU rendering.

4. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Keyshot by design will try to use every bit of resources your pc has. If you have less it just takes longer.

5. Toybuilder

Toybuilder Member

Functionally, you don't need to be at the bleeding edge in order to be productive -- unless you need real-time rendering all the time, I'd say save the money and spend it on the lunch you take while you wait for your computer to do the rendering! :)

Most of the time, the extra eye-candy doesn't do much for the actual modeling work that you're spending the most of your time on...