1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boolean Problem

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by RocketNut, Mar 24, 2020.

1. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Hi All,
    How Apply feature mirror a part that has feature fillet &Chamfer and shell? Here is the example:
    Thanks in advance,
    GIOV
    upload_2020-8-23_19-26-39.png

Attached Files:

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Create a second configuration in which you Part Mirror what you have so far, save the part. Open a new part Boolean workspace and insert 2 instances of the part, at origin. Switch configuration of one part so that you have one of each config - commit the Boolean.

3. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Thanks DavidJ.
    Hope soon AD will be able to do Feature fillet & Chamfer and shell mirror.
    Regards,
    GIOV

4. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

That would be nice to have. Until then I've just reordered the operations as much as possible to get the result I need.

If you need the barge to be "hollowed out" then a change in the order of operations will get you there.
    Shelled Barge.png

Attached Files:

5. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

GIOV - if you try to mirror some of your features, you end up trying to either duplicate them, or carry them out on edges that no longer exist (because the 'seed' fillet for example has already extended). Remember it is the functional operation that you mirror, not simply the resultant geometry.

Shell always acts on the entire part - so mirroring a shell is like trying to perform it twice in succession (but face indexes have changed).

Harold's approach may be closer to what you need.

6. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Thanks very much Harold! I will try when I have a little time. Yes the feature fillet & Chamfer and shell mirror are essential.
    Ok DavidJ,
    Ever I have some new thing to learn from the forum.
    I will study all suggestions. This example in particular is easy to achieve without mirror but when the Filled has non constant radio and Chamfer without constant distance the symmetry is is very complex process.
    Regards,
    GIOV