1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boolean Problem

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by RocketNut, Mar 24, 2020.

1. RocketNut

RocketNut Alibre Super User

I have been chasing my tall all day today to do a Boolean Untie. As shown in the attached screenshot I need to attach
    the plow support frame to the plow. For some reason, I can not constant the support 80mm form the end (as shown in the screenshot).

So what am I doing wrong?
    Plow Boolean Error.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

RocketNut -- I have not downloaded your Package, but it looks to me as if your "connectire" do not protrude into the surface of your (I assume) "plow body." -- Lew

3. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

So I downloaded your package file and am not sure how you want the support constrained. It appears that you have a Coincident constraint between the wrong faces, at least in the package file you uploaded.

What are these unconstrained sketches for?
    What's this.png

From your posted image it looks like you want the short face mated to the surface of the body. Once that is done then use a Coincident constraint between the end face of the body and an edge of the support.

This is how the file is constrained when opened:
    WhichFaceToWhichFace.png

Oh yeah, one more thing -- you guys should really invest in a Spell Checker for your posts. Just sayin'.

And here's a constrained assembly as near as I could figure out what you wanted.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  4. RocketNut

Thanks, Harold :D:D

When I opened your package file and checked on how you did it, the constraints in the boolean function are red (attached screenshot). Any clue why there coming up red? Also, your constraints are the same I used, but would not stick resulting as shown in the previous screenshot shows.

As for the unconstrained sketches there used to trim the plow to trim so the ends are at 90 Deg.

As for my spelling, I am using Grammarly as my spelling checker.

Plow Bad Constrains.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  5. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Rocketnut,
    I just looked at the package file I uploaded and it appears that Mate 5 has reverted back to the wrong face on the bracket. If you edit Mate 5 and select the wrong face on the bracket to remove it from the selection set and then select the bottom face of the bracket it should straighten itself out.
    There must have been some memory of the previous mate geometry in the model that it reverted to.

Yeah, I've looked at Grammarly before. While it does a fair job of correcting spelling errors sometimes it's not very good at grammar errors, like the proper use of there, they're, or their and sometimes, it's or its.

6. RocketNut

It is not only the boolean function that has this memory problem. I have a couple of sketches at also losing endpoints, causing a VERY different sketch.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

May Be I should contact support, may they can figure out what's going on and what is causing this problem.

The grammar checking is not included in the free version which I am using. I use it to check my spelling errors which I need ALOT. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello RocketNut,

should it be like the appended package?
    It is only quick and dirty, may the whole should be overhauled...

Regards
    Stefan

Attached Files:

8. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello colleagues,
    i just downloaded "my own" package and opened it...interesting
    before i made the package:
    upload_2020-3-25_22-35-2.png

now extracted from the package:
    upload_2020-3-25_22-36-16.png

Will try it again...

Regards
    Stefan

9. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

"Next Attempt" ;-)
    There was a faulty fillet in the base part and i had forgotten to do a "Regenerate all"
    Changed the fillet from 3 to 1,5mm, now it's ok but the last extrusions scetch is influenced by the now working fillet...
    So, the design should be checked...

Regards
    Stefan

Attached Files:

10. RocketNut

I just downloaded your latest package, but the same thing the constrains are red.

Maybe I should redraw everything. The attached screenshot shows what I am trying to do. As you can see I got one perfect it is the scend plow is the one I having a lot of trouble. I am dum founded why I can get one but not the other to work and constrained properly. Any suggestions on how I should do the plows?

NASA  Design.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  11. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

If you have one side then perhaps a scale / mirror is all you need to get the other side?

12. RocketNut

I do know how to do a mirror of the entire part. I can mirror a sketch.

Side Note:

I sent the problem to support and there having the same problems we are having.

13. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Not if it contains fillets it won't!

14. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

If you have one side you can save it as, say, part1 and part 2. In part 2 use the scale mirror function to mirror the entire part. Then open a new empty part window and boolean unite both part 1 and part 2. Scale mirror will work with fillets. Unless I've totally missed something (haven't really been paying attention to this thread).

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  15. RocketNut

I just check the first plow and the boolean constraints are red also. Which tells me this a lot bigger then we thought.

16. NateLiqGrav

Use the feature called "Scale or Mirror Part..." not the feature called "Mirror...".

upload_2020-3-26_22-29-59.png

bigseb likes this.
  17. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello RocketNut,
    Which one?
    upload_2020-3-27_12-50-46.png

I've opened the package and both sides have red constraints.
    Other question:
    upload_2020-3-27_12-52-40.png

Silly question: Do you use the "unite" to have the plow and the two yellow brakets to be one part? For what purpose?

Regards
    Stefan

18. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Well you learn something new every day! I've always used the feature mirror. :rolleyes: ...Wonder though, why one works and the other doesn't? you would have thought a mirror operation should do the same regardless of the way you invoke it!

19. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello colleagues,

both functions can do the job...

upload_2020-3-27_14-28-27.png

upload_2020-3-27_14-28-48.png

if you use the "Feature Mirror" you can/must select what features have to be mirrored.
    If you choose only selective features in "Mirror" you can also create those things:
    upload_2020-3-27_14-34-44.png

Regards
    Stefan

20. NateLiqGrav

The "Scale or Mirror Part..." has been redesigned to be simpler to understand over the years but originally before there was any "Mirror" feature a user had to use a negative Scale to mirror parts.