1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boolean operation on imported STEP file

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by anson, Mar 9, 2020.

  1. anson

    anson Member

    Right now I'm trying to turn this assembly into a single part. It doesn't have so many pieces but for some reason I get an error message every time I try. I tried making sub-booleans and it worked, but then it wouldn't join those. In short, no matter what order I try I eventually run into the error
    . upload_2020-3-9_8-44-18.png
     

    Attached Files:

  2. DavidJ

    DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

    Might be helpful to post the original STEP file. Problems with import (either the settings used, or problems with the import module, or problems inherent in the original file) may be significant.
     
  3. anson

    anson Member

    The original file is too large to upload here as it contains more pieces than the alibre file I uploaded.
     
  4. DavidJ

    DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

    That's unfortunate - we'll never be able to test if the importation was the problem.

    Do you know what software the STEP file came from?
     
  5. Lew_Merrick

    Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

    Anson -- Consider placing the STEP file in a 7Zip container or upload it to a "server" (such as BoxFTP) and posting a "download link." -- Lew
     
  6. DavidJ

    DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

    Did your successful 'sub-booleans' contain all parts of the assembly between them?

    Typically first step is to try to isolate parts that 'don't play nicely'. If that doesn't point to anything, then thing become more complex.
     
  7. idslk

    idslk Alibre Super User

    Hello anson,
    Adding all parts in one step to a boolean fails here also.
    Then i made several "sub-booleans" and added them one by one to the next "bigger" "sub-boolean" up the the "complete boolean".
    That works.
    Unfortunately i can't tell you what's the fail reason.
    Regards
    Stefan
    upload_2020-3-9_15-37-57.png
     
  8. DavidJ

    DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

    I found Boolean would work if the two non-highlighted parts are omitted. problem parts.jpg
     
  9. anson

    anson Member

    Thanks, that's great. I eliminated the parts one by one but didnt think about two by two.
     
  10. DavidJ

    DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

    I'm not sure it is totally consistent - but it gives something to explore further. The fact that Stefan managed to eventually 'stitch it all together' suggests this might not be a routine 'damaged part' issue. The strange text in the names is also a slight concern.
     
  11. anson

    anson Member

    Deleting internal parts from the motor was not a problem for me because I only need the frame size to see if it fits. I don't know how Stefan managed to stitch them I couldn't replicate that here. However I'm pleased with the results I have now, and want to finish with with this project so I can play with v21!☺♥☺♥☺
     
  12. DavidJ

    DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

    Maybe try repeating the original import when you try v21 - there are some import/export fixes, so you might get a different result...
     
  13. idslk

    idslk Alibre Super User

    I haven't stored the interims, so i can only post the result.
    I've taken parts to unite which made a meaningful group to me like the terminalbox with cover, screws, gasket and mounting plate.
    Made a boolean unite, created the next "group", united both and went further in same manner.

    Regards
    Stefan
     

    Attached Files:

  14. anson

    anson Member

    Hey that's a good idea. I'll try it.
     

Share This Page