1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assembly - exit in place design

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by pridbor, Mar 22, 2021.

1. pridbor

pridbor Member

I can't find a way to get out of editing a new part in the assembly!

There must be a clever way to exit which I can't seem to find, please advise :)

Thanks

Preben

2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

In the Design Explorer, RMB click on the part you are working on (it should be Blue text) and select edit Main assembly.

3. pridbor

pridbor Member

:):):)

Thanks
    Preben

4. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

Making this 50 times more obvious is on our radar. You are not alone.

Mika likes this.
  5. OTE_TheMissile

OTE_TheMissile Alibre Super User

I was hoping for at least 52 times more obvious, but I guess this'll do

;):D

6. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Or in the Design Explorer, RMB click on the top level assembly (it's easy to find because it's on the top of the list...) and select "Edit Part/Subassembly"
    (here "Lever<1>" is in work with "Edit here")
    upload_2021-3-23_14-26-53.png

Regards
    Stefan

7. Max

We have taken your feedback into account and approved an additional 2 obviousness.

8. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

My suggestion:
    [​IMG]

9. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

what about "ALT" + "F4" ? :D:D:D:D:D

OTE_TheMissile likes this.
  10. Max

There are several context-based scenarios that we have - editing a part in context of assy, editing a sketch, editing a boolean, etc.

I think the button you suggest has the same problem as the current method, which is that it's just one little place to click in a sea of icons and if you don't know what it is, you have almost no chance of finding it.

We'll probably do something roughly similar to this, though we have not put a ton of thought into the actual UI or UX yet:

upload_2021-3-23_11-12-36.png

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    NateLiqGrav, HaroldL and Ralf like this.
  11. HaroldL

Max, I like the option of having a "Return" button in the corner of the workspace area. It is one click instead of the RMB then find the option on the pop up menu. Also those who are transitioning from SolidWorks will find it similar to the "Accept" button they are used to.

pridbor, JST and Ralf like this.
  12. TimoCAD

TimoCAD Senior Member

What about double clicks LMB on the parts/subassemblies in the tree and add an underline/highlighting to the name? That would be like, for example, in Siemens NX.

As I remember this EventHandler is not used yet and very intuitive UIx.

13. Max

It still has the issue of having to a) know to look in the DE, b) find the correct assy/subassy and c) knowing to double click which is something we don't use often.

The proposed approach above brings the action front and center. Also, I could see there being like 2 arrows instead of 1 - the Up arrow edits the top level assy and the Left arrow, if applicable, edits the parent object. That way you don't have to hunt in the DE, you just do it. Again not final UI, but conceptually we can give really explicit access to top/parent level assemblies with almost no confusion, at least compared to DE related things.

14. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

That is better but I figured adding a button would be faster.

15. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I don't agree with that logic. You don't know what any button is until you've learnt where it is and what it does. Same with the right click method we use currently. Once you know it exists, problem solved. Adding a button isn't making it more obvious.

This is the sort of thing that needs to made clear in the help (if it isn't already). Let's see some geniune program improvements instead of another band-aid for beginners.

simonb65 likes this.
  16. sz0k30

sz0k30 Senior Member

X2

17. Max

I'm not sure characterizing this as a "bandaid" is realistic bigseb. There is quite a lot of precedent for this kind of UI for a reason. And while I don't disagree the help should talk about it (it does), the fact is that people don't read. Now I'm sure that doesn't apply to anyone in this thread ;) but it is true overall. In almost every case creating something that removes the need for help is a better option than creating something that requires extensive documentation to perform simple things.

It also removes several mouse clicks and a ton of middle-wheel scrolling when navigating around a subassembly structure to edit things, which is an efficiency boost I would assume would be welcome. It's also trivial to implement.

18. HaroldL

It doesn't look like anyone has complained about the big "Deactivate Sketch" button on the sketch ribbon. so why object to a single button to exit "edit in place"?
    I'd welcome anything that made that a bit easier.

simonb65 likes this.
  19. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I can see this going only one way: this will be added to the 'list of changes to be made' and will be slotted in above all the requests I have made over the years.

Prove me wrong.

20. TimoCAD

TimoCAD Senior Member

For me a), b) and c) are things I do very often and very regularly... ;) Just do a benchmark on a bunch of other CAD competitors, I think it's widely used in this way. Ok maybe they highlight the part in the geometry window while hovering in the DE.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021