1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyway to change default views?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drutort, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Drutort

Drutort Senior Member

It would be nice to change in Alibre options the default view's, for example when designing for machining or any 3 axis typical machine, top view is xy plane (currently is front) and front view is zx (currently the bottom view)

I see no way to change the default views in Alibre, unless someone has some trick I can do.

If this can not be changed, then can we at least change custom order? so I can place my own order and that way I will jump to the right views for me?

Another feature I would love is a double click of a mouse button that aligns the part to current plane or view, that is so nice feature I have in my CAM software that I use that 90% of time then the dedicated keyboard shortcuts or ribbon view buttons

2. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Your problem is that (in 1982) Architects were allowed to "define axis systems" for the CAD Industry.

Drutort likes this.
  3. H-L-Smith

H-L-Smith Senior Member

This is not a fix for your problem, but is a little work-around I use to keep things straight in my mind when using a "non-standard" orientation, which I do from time to time. Just rename the planes in Design Explorer as makes sense to you.

For example, change XY-Plane to CNC-Top-Plane. Change the other two to something meaningful as well. I do agree that being able to change the orientation would be a useful enhancement to Alibre, particularly if this is something you could do at a template and/or system level.

You can easily rename a plane in Design Explorer by selecting it, and then right clicking on it with the mouse, assuming you have the conventional mouse button setup.

Cheers,

4. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

The real problem is that, long about 1840 or so, an international agreement established what became the standard for Mechanical Engineering coordinate system reference and, in 1957, the standard for NC coordinate system reference and all of that was thrown out in favor of an Architect's view in 1982. The fact is that the Civil Engineer's and Architect's viewpoint is only sensible in a sundial based system and not in a mathematically based system.

5. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Also, when you design something with the XY plane facing forward its actually exactly the same as if it were facing up. Little engineering secret.