1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another loft that doesn't work!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaveD44, Aug 8, 2019.

1. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Alibre doesnt snap and that is the issue, but it does show you points when near things like mid points, the cursor is augmented with the intersection, midpoint, tangent, etc and if you click when this is shown, it will terminate the line at that point with an auto constraint or stitch the nodes.

It doesn't have a wide 'proximity' snap to ... which I agree is highly sought after in a future update.

JST likes this.
  2. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello tk1247,

a short video in the zip. Isn't that snapping to midpoint? (It's the same with tangent, vertex...)

Regards
    Stefan

Attached Files:

simonb65 likes this.
  3. simonb65

You can select a number of sketch entities by a rectangular selection and move them as a selection already. Do it quite often especially when positioning sketches such as catalog features!

4. tk1247

tk1247 Member

Understand. Don't get me going on catalog features - sometimes you can reposition them, sometimes you can't. I haven't found consistency in that area.

simonb65 likes this.
  5. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Also you can use existing faces and edges with "Project to Sketch" in both 2D and 3D sketches.
    Also you can even "Project to Sketch" the cut face of a Precise Section View.
    Also you can add reference geometry on existing faces, edges, and vertices.

ConstraintSettings.png
    You can adjust your Snap and Constraint Settings for sketches.

If your argument is that snapping to features could be smarter and take less clicks then I agree. If your argument is that snapping to a feature is impossible now then I would need to see an example.

idslk likes this.
  6. simonb65

+1

7. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Autocad will only snap etc to those fratures that are pre selected. At least the old ones did. so you have complete control over what happens.

I agree that sketching tends to be very clumsy in Alibre, much like very early CAD systems. This is more so with any of the sketch tools having to do with lofts, The "3D" sketch tools seem to be back in the 1960's to me.

8. tk1247

tk1247 Member

My argument is that snapping to feature can be made MUCH smarter. IMO constraints, whether inferred or not, are not the same as feature to feature snapping while sketching. I want aids like I describe to be able to quickly and accurately sketch something, then apply constraints to complete it. Snapping to features does this - current constraints in AD only partially does this. Again, IMO, there are much less expensive CAD systems like TurboCad that have had this capability for years, and I'm asking that it be implemented in AD to make a good program even better.

JST and simonb65 like this.
  9. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Yes, an EASILY ACCESSED snap selection such as AutoCad had 30 years ago would be excellent for sketching. Just refer to AutoCad for the list of possible snaps.

The Alibre "model" is back in the "pick the tool and use it, then pick the next" mode. That gets us back to the "tapdancing centipede" that another poster used to describe Alibre mouse click requirements.

AutoCad fixed that with an easier selection which IIRC was accessed from the RMB.

10. tk1247

tk1247 Member

Agree completely. However, you don't have to go back to AutoCad of 30 yrs ago. RhinoCad and TurboCad today offer such feature snapping, easily accessed, in addition to grouping and alignment tools. I may be mistaken, but I think such tools are also available in many other inexpensive Cad programs. AD could be so much more better than it is with such tools.

11. simonb65

MOI 3D is a good example of nice snapping (and the 3D spline editing is an absolute dream!)

CorelDRAW is great too.

12. Specktech

Specktech Member

13. Specktech

Specktech Member

That tip gave me a bunch of ideas, I didn't know you could group them like that. Just by adding dimensions between them. Awesome tip.