1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another dxf challenge

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by wazzu83, Jul 24, 2020.

1. wazzu83

wazzu83 Member

I created shop drawings for the fabrication and installation of handrails along both sides of a pedestrian ramp that is ~150 ft long and rises ~11 ft top to bottom. All of my work was based on the project drawings, before any concrete was poured.

The ramp is bounded along each side with a curb of constant 4° slope. The ramp rises at a steeper angle, but has 4 landings so the curb height with respect to the walkway varies.

The contractor has provided me with a site survey of the poured concrete in dxf format. I have attached it for your reference. There are 113 data points. Each point is represented by a center mark, point ID, coordinates & height. Each in their own layer. The coordinate values are measures relative to a common transit location. The file opens fine in the Alibre drawing wokspace and you can see a 2D plan view of the surveyed points.

I would like to "connect the dots" so to speak, essentially creating a centerline of each curb (LHS is even pts 6 to 52, RHS is odd pts 57 to 111). I would copy & paste that line into the part workspace, create a rectangle around it and extrude a basic curb that I can cut to the slope shape using the survey height data. That isn't working out so well. I have found that the points can move, they are not selectable as a point. When I add sketch nodes the second point hash always moves to the sketch node regardless of selection order. Don't seem to have the same problem anchoring the node to the first hash. I have wasted a lot of time with something that seems so simple.

The raw dxf file contains a lot of "unimportant" data. I wrote a qbasic program to read the dxf file and write the "important" values as a csv file. Is there a way to use this spreadsheet to plot the points? That would be much quicker than plotting each point manually.

Attached Files:

2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Try Insert from file. The option is available in both 2d and 3d sketch mode. (2d is shown).

insert from file.png

3. wazzu83

wazzu83 Member

Thanks Harold.

Saved so much time ... and I learned a new skill.

4. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User