1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alibre Viewer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wazzu83, Jan 8, 2021.

1. wazzu83

wazzu83 Senior Member

I noticed during my recent bounce back and forth between V21 and V22 that there is a "Viewer" checkbox at the enter license part of the installation/activation process. Having always upgraded versions from within AD, I never encountered this step.

I would like to share AD Viewer capability with a couple of project partners. I first tried an install on a computer that has never had an AD install so that I would be able to walk folks through the process if they had any questions.

The Viewer option is not available on a virgin install. One must choose between a trial, license number or off line activation. Does that mean that someone only interested in viewing only must complete the trial first? What will one encounter at the end of the trial? Is there a work around? Oversight on the part of AD or a sales & marketing ploy?

2. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

An expired trial will offer viewer mode. In same way as if you move licence between computers, any not currently activated will work as viewer.

Attempting to register trial to an e-mail address that has already had a trial will show trial expired, and hence may offer you the viewer option.

Viewer only licences can be produced, but not much incentive for Alibre to do the extra work that requires. Talk nicely to Sales if you really need that.

4. simonb65

@DavidJ, a simple enhancement to the installer to change the activation page to show the radio button options ...

( ) Viewer
    ( ) Time Limited Trial (28 days)
    (*) Full Functionality [xxxx] [xxxx] [xxxx] [xxxx]

.... would be so much friendlier and straightforward for users.

Can you suggest this to Alibre Dev as an enhancement please.

jfleming and NateLiqGrav like this.
  5. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Don't agree. If AD had a usable, hassle-free viewer it would make it so much easier for clients to view native AD files opening up work for users.

Just download and install. No sign-up or registering. Let's you measure, check properties and section.

6. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Agree about the viewer and clients.

Extra points if you can generate a "viewer only" model file, so the client can look at it, but not actually use or edit it, so they can't just "decide not to proceed with the project" and take the file elsewhere at low cost.

Yes, I have had clients actually do that..

VoltsAndBolts, IonSteve and bigseb like this.
  7. simonb65

I only send KeyShot renderings until the final payment of the contract for design file deliverables is made! Stops them holding payments back and they can't take the design somewhere else before paying for it!

VoltsAndBolts likes this.
  8. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

I though that only happened where I worked. We'd spend hours/days working out the details on an enclosure design just to have the customer decide to cancel the order. Then we get a request from some other "customer" asking us to quote on our design. And all they did was white out the title block on our approval drawings. o_O:mad:

9. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Nope, it happens elsewhere also. Ticks me right off. But at least I get to "no bid" them the next time they want something.

Sending you your own design? That I have never seen happen. Gives you some options on how to reply.....Pretend you don't know, and quote so you may get some money out of it, "discuss" the matter, or "no bid" 'em.

They can look, but cannot measure. So in some cases it won't get past whoever decides if you got it to fit right the way they asked.

Both ways can work, as long as they cannot take a usable file and run.