1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alibre Vault

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fabio, Jan 14, 2021 at 1:24 AM.

1. Fabio

Fabio New Member

Good Morning.
    I am new in this forum, I am trying Alibre Design to understand if this is a good product to insert it in our company.
    My first impression is not bad, but there are some points that i've not understand.
    - Alibre Vault exists ?
    - For support i can write in this forum ?

Thanks at all.

2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Used to be M-files and now maybe this.
    Or start a ticket with Support.

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Vault still is M-Files. The other item linked by Harold above is not Vault, it doesn't do the the same things.

Vault hasn't been supplied by Alibre for several years - M-Files and licences to use it must be purchased separately from M-Files.

Support - is that specifically for Vault, or more generally? The forum provides support mainly from other users (which is excellent for getting ideas about alternate ways to approach design challenges). Formal product support is available from your local reseller, and direct from Alibre, LLC.
    Support : Support Center (alibre.com)

4. Fabio

Fabio New Member

Ok, I've contact M-files and they said me that does not exist connection from M-files to Alibre.
    So, the only method to manage files is the one suggested by Harold ?

5. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Alibre Design can interact with M-Files. A special vault structure is required, because Alibre uses a rather old fashioned way to reference items in the vault. I have used this in the past and can confirm that it still works.

The item mentioned by Harold looks interesting - I don't know yet what the intention for that is (it isn't produced by Alibre, LLC - so I don't have full details).

Other users may be able to suggest alternatives for file management.

netcp likes this.
  6. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

@Fabio you can use any Document Content Management (DCM) system or application to version control and archive your Alibre files. I personally use a free tool intended for software development (CVS and SVN), but it handles any file types, so I use it for Alibre too. In previous companies, we used Perforce, which again handles any file type, so that was used for software, firmware, PCB design files, CAD files, etc but it's quite costly per seat! They all mostly do the same thing and that is to allow you to keep multiple versions of the same file, control access, give you the ability to roll back or extract specific revisions, add change comments and see file history, etc. So the choice is really down to your business needs and I would opt for a system that you can also uses for your existing document management to reduce the need for users to learn multiple systems!