1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alibre User "Shot Gallery"

Discussion in 'KeyShot for rendering' started by Ralf, May 8, 2009.

1. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

I was thinking about adding the solder fillets to the pin parts ... but for what I use the images for (mainly marketing and documentation), it would be more effort than it was worth.

The template mapping is done to the part name. In my case, the parts names are appended with the material/colour. You could just put a keyword in the part name and use that in the template rule. The colours are attibutes of the material in keyshot. for example, in my material library, I've created an electronics group which looks like ...

upload_2018-12-14_10-10-47.png

It is these that the Template Rules point to.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  2. simonb65

The writing on the component is a separate Alibre part, which was created by importing a .dxf of the artwork into a single sketch, then extruding it by 0.001mm ...

upload_2018-12-14_10-17-20.png

3. simonb65

Jeff, there is a great video on YouTube which explains it all ... . It demonstrates how you can produce a 'standard' model and then apply templates at will to change the final product, maybe to show variants or different finish ideas to your customers/clients.

jhiker likes this.
  4. idslk

idslk Senior Member

Thank You Simon

Regards
    Stefan

5. slipstick

slipstick Member

Playing with KeyShot and SimLab

The first image is KeyShot. One material only. The second is SimLab, imported by way of ViaCAD and Silo3D. ViaCAD does nice meshes, and Silo allows me to assign colors to faces. SimLab then allows me to apply amterial to each color.

Does anyone know if the color restriction is due to the version of KeyShot that comes with Alibre, or is it the bridge from Alibre to KeyShot that is limiting the material per part?

Attached Files:

6. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

The restriction is with Alibre -- it doesn't allow different colors to be applied to surfaces. Even though you can color Features those colors don't carry over to KS.
    You can get around that limitation in Alibre somewhat by creating "skins" for the surfaces you want a different color/material to be applied to and creating an assembly. The "skins" only need to be a few thou thick, but it is enough for KS to recognize it as a different material based on its color.
    Another work flow would be to import your part/assembly into MoI and apply colors to the surfaces there, then export to KS and render away. I think Ralf had a real nice image showing the results of that work flow but I can't find the post now. It's probably too old and got lost on the old forum.

Here's an example of a "skinned" assembly, the first two from Alibre, the last one from KS.

Skinned Assy.png Skinned Assy Exploded.png Alibre Skinned Assy.png

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  7. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

There is a geometry editor in KeyShot but I don't think it exists in the Alibre version.

8. simonb65

Just as I showed in post #197 and #202 of this thread!

idslk likes this.
  9. JST

JST Alibre Super User

The "skins" deal is kinda old news, I think I have been doing that nearly as long as I have been using the program for real development stuff. Mostly for labeling and so forth.

The "feature color" has taken over for some of that, but I do not think that transfers through to Keyshot. At least it has not seemed to do so in any useful way.

10. slipstick

slipstick Member

I have MoI , but the KeyShot that comes with Alibre only brings in BIP files and some other format I never heard of. I haven't been able to find a program that will convert to BIP (that I can afford), or save as BIP. But SimLab Composer works well. I'll buy it later this spring.

11. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Oh yeah, I forgot that you might be using Keyshot for Alibre. That would limit your options some.

12. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Are we there yet?

13. jfleming

jfleming Senior Member

Whew! That's incredible man! Must have taken forever?

simonb65 likes this.
  14. simonb65

Thanks. Takes a while to add new parts to the library and the program to pull everything together was done in my spare time and is still work-in-progress, but to create finished renders is about 6 button clicks and the time it takes to make a coffee!