1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alibre team: please add this

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigseb, Oct 11, 2019 at 12:27 PM.

1. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

This something I could really use: functions added to the various fields in the hole tool. I don't know if its particularly difficult to do but it seems to be the only feature box that doesn't allow it. All the hole types only only have a function box for the hole depth. But hole features are great for other things than just bolts and screws and I use them a lot for mould design. Being able to control hole features across an entire project (say, guide pillar holes in an injection mould) using global parameters would be a great time saver.

01.JPG

simonb65 and cadtec like this.
  2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Alternatively you could create a mould wizard like you would find on Solidworks, Powershape, VISI, et al. The above method is probably easier though.

3. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

I would go one step further and ask if ALL dimension entry boxes/fields could have the f(x) option. After all they are all stored somewhere and it just needs to use the same mechanism as other values that can use global variables/formulas.

markporter and idslk like this.
  4. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

Hello Sebastian,

can you post a drawing of your standard hole with dimensions wich should be variable?

Regards
    Stefan

5. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Not sure I understand your question. Essentially what I want is to be able to control all the dimmensions of the hole feature using global parameters. Then, should I decide mid-design to change to a larger/smaller guide element set I do this with global parameters and that will automatically update all hole diameters and counterbore diameters and depths across the entire mould. That way I don't have to edit the entire bolster one plate at a time. And this would also apply to bolt holes, guide holes for ejectors, clearance holes for ejectors, cooling holes, guide element set for ejection, etc. I can also control the locating ring cavity using the dimensions of the actual locating ring. Lots of scope for this.

6. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Sebastian -- How about creating a Hole Preset System entry for such Holes?

7. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

And if I want to make changes? Then I'd still have to go into each individual part and change the preset. Not to mention having to create a huge library of presets in the first place. Doesn't seem like a time saver at all.

8. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Why create yet more systems and workarounds when all it needs is the product to evolve and adapt for everyone!

9. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

understood.:)
    Regards
    Stefan