1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alibre Script - script requests

Discussion in 'Alibre Script' started by Max, Oct 9, 2018.

1. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

What do you want Lew? Full physics contact simulation?

2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Albie, I only commented because the rack appeared to have straight teeth at the angle the image was taken and would crash with the pinion. But since I am recovering from eye surgery I had to look at it again with my good eye.:)

3. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Nate -- If you go back far enough you will find that I kept asking for not only a "ratio of revolution" Constraint, but also an "initial alignment" Constraint. Without such a "basis" to set things correctly, "relative rotations" will "get out of sync" do to (if you will) "angular accuracy limitations." -- Lew

4. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

A search for that "initial alignment" brings only one result...
    If you use a EE-Value for this "initial alignment" and a script for the controlled movement also within a range , you can do a lot...
    Regards
    Stefan

5. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Maybe a Limit constraint for initial alignment (rotation stop), and a Gear constraint for the revolution ratio.

6. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

My question was more is the tooth detail just for show or will the models need to be good enough for printing/machining?

I approached the concept of a crownwheel and pinion drawing/model set by creating a model of each part, creating an assembly and drawings and then writing a script (with LOTS of help) in the assembly that took values from a spreadsheet and updated parameters in both models. Then I would save the updated assembly and then refresh the drawings.

I kept the drawing/assembly/parts as a master unit and do a full 'save as' after updating everything each time I use it for a new job.

The script reads values that were listed in the same order as the parameters in each part and then looped through the parameters, updating each of the values. Which is why it needs to remain as a set.

Rack and pinion calculations could be written into a script so the spreadsheet could be avoided.

I have uploaded a helical gear part to the forum a few times that has 5-6 EE editable values that will give a pretty good approximation. A rack would be quite easy to do as well. The rack would be accurate, the gear "candy"

7. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Hi Nate, Stefan or albie0803,
    I have a script request for keep constant the line of a curve & spline path length (Like a perimeter), so if I change some values of the transverse value to define the curve & spline (Like Y axis), the length (Like X axe) varies depending of the "path length(Like perimeter)" gives in the script input.
    Thanks very much in advance,
    GIOV

8. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

@GIOV Sorry, that is beyond my ability. Besides no knowing how to programmatically do it I also have no idea how to mathematically do it.

9. idslk

idslk Alibre Super User

@GIOV ,
    A sorry from me too. I've played aroud sometime ago to "handle" splines using scripts, it wasn't that much fun as i expected (means i haven't reached a goal...)
    But for my curiosity, for what do you need this?
    Regards
    Stefan

10. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Stefan -- My guess is to perform actual traditional Lofting. -- Lew

11. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

No worries Nate, anyway thanks very much.
    Yes
    Lofting & Material standard size Maximization. The best way for now is do this by traditional manner.
    I thinks is a differential equation for the math side.
    Other option is do this trough Sheet Metal WorkSpace applying a series of Sketch bend.
    Never know if Nate, Stefan or albie0803 gives the Script solution!
    Regards and take care please,
    GIOV