1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alibre drawing crash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Creek Design, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Hi all,

I am working with Alibre 2019 build 20072.

I'm having a persistent problem with saving drawings. I can create a drawing, but the moment I attempt to save it I get a dialogue box which states that Alibre Design has stopped working and the whole program crashes.

Once in a blue moon, I can successfully save a drawing.

I am still working with Windows 7. Is this a Windows issue? Maybe a wonky update? The problem only cropped up about six months ago.

Thanks in advance.

2. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

Are you saving locally on your PC or on a network drive? Do yuo have a virus scanner doing on access scanning? that can cause Alibre issues as it can't get exclusive access to the file during the save process. I believe this has been addressed in a later version of AD.

When you see it again, expand the error dialog and post the contents on here. The dialog contains debug information that shows where the problem occurred.

3. I don't seem to be able to expand the dialogue box. Here's a screenshot. Alibre crash.JPG

4. BobSchaefer

BobSchaefer Member

Try checking event viewer under Windows Administration Tools and look for application errors listed in it and see if it gives you more information.

5. I found the error message details. Screenshot attached. Alibre error details.JPG

6. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Are all the errors pointing to Alibre.exe? It looks like you have the second one selected and its message displayed.
    Do you recall having any other computer issues that started about the same time? When did you upgrade to Alibre 2019 build 20072?

7. All of the error messages are identical to the screenshot.

I'm thinking that a Windows update might have caused the problem. No other issues with any other program ever cropped up. I upgraded to 2019 in January of that year.

8. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Was Windows 7 still getting updates at that time?

9. Yes. It was nearing the end of the time when it still received updates.

10. BobSchaefer

BobSchaefer Member

Interesting, when I google the error code 0x000....05 (I don't know how many zeroes there are) I get some interesting answers. One easy thing to try is to bring up a command prompt as administrator and run the following command:

sfc /scannow

See if that helps anything out.

11. simonb65

In short ... 0xC0000005 is an a Access Violation. The program is effectively trying to access memory that doesn't belong to it! or the pointer to memory is uninitialised, ie NULL. Usually the sign of a bug in the application.

12. I installed Alibre 2019 on my laptop after getting some help from Alibre support. It is able to save drawing files successfully. So it looks like this is a Windows issue.
    we are considering getting a new PC since this one is getting long in the tooth anyway. Otherwise, I may take it over to my local techie and see if she can clean it up a bit.
    Thanks for all the help.

13. simonb65

14. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

If you upgrade your Win7 PC to Win10 - release your AD licence BEFORE doing so. The machine ID will change.

You can work around this using the on-line licensing portal, or ask support to release the activation, but it's simpler to release it yourself before upgrading the OS.