1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alibre Design 2019 New Graphics Pipeline

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NateLiqGrav, Mar 14, 2019.

1. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

Link from the Alibre Newsletter March 2019
    https://www.alibre.com/2019-whats-new/

Beautiful job Alibre Crew!

You may want to make the images expand when clicked so people can see that detail. I right clicked and view image.

Also I noticed the "Part Generator" Icon in the last screenshot. :)

2. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

WOW, just WOW! Nice to see some really sweet front end improvements. Hope the back end has had a little TLC and attention too !

This alone will get you my maintenance renewal.

randyshoemaker likes this.
  3. NateLiqGrav

@Max With the increase in FPS will the view movements be smoothed? In the current version an apparent minimum view rotation angle makes big assemblies (big as in length) "jumpy" because their points are further from the point of view rotation.

4. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

Interesting. No, this would not be addressed unless we change something. I'll think about how this might work. I'm sure it will need to dynamically adjust depending on zoom levels etc.

Do you have such an assembly you can share with me?

5. NateLiqGrav

6. VoltsAndBolts

VoltsAndBolts Senior Member

It's nice to see things progressing... :p

7. oilman

oilman Member

Wow. Kudos to the Alibre team. I get excited with improvements to anything I have to look at, sit on, or sleep in for hours each day.

This release makes me feel like a little boy during Christmas waiting for Santa to come :D

VoltsAndBolts likes this.
  8. JST

JST Alibre Super User

I assume this will still work on older graphics. I am currently using a machine with 1920 x 1200 screen, and ancient NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M, which I hope is not going to be too outdated for the new system. Upgrades to new machine is planned, but not yet done.

9. NateLiqGrav

As far as I can tell it should work (maybe requiring driver updates) but will not have any of the newer DX features.

10. Max

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M

The minimum system requirements will be increasing with the next release. Specifically, RAM and recommended video cards. I'm not positive about this card specifically, but it was made 12 years ago, which really is ancient in the world of video cards. I would recommend trying the beta to see how it performs.

Fortunately, for those caught in a situation where upgrading would compromise their work due to hardware incompatibilities, we are allowing you to switch between the new graphics pipeline and our old DirectX pipeline. This ability won't last forever, but probably for 1 major release (until AD 2020). This should alleviate any concerns, but of course you will get none of the benefits of the new pipeline either.

NateLiqGrav likes this.
  11. JST

JST Alibre Super User

That's fine, "works" is what I need until I update. It is not a card, but is in motherboard, and as a laptop, not possible to upgrade.

Since I am actively looking to upgrade, is there a releasable list of acceptable cards and minimum ram needs?

I usually buy several computers that are a level or so back from the latest, for backup, and as a second machine if my supposed 2 seat license is still any good. (the prior backup machine is in use now, prompting the interest in upgrades). That means a good chance of NOT meeting the requirements, which would not be good.

12. Max

I'll assume you don't want to set money on fire. If you do, I can give you some other options.
    Note: this is not the "new Alibre Design minimum possible specifications" - this is me suggesting what I personally would buy as your daily driver if I were you using AD for a business, while trying not to go crazy on budget. I wouldn't buy a ton of these for "backup machines".

I'm assuming you want to replace a laptop with a laptop.

Given the cheapness of RAM, I would suggest a 16GB machine, the fastest quad/six core you can afford, and an NVMe SSD hard drive (if possible - otherwise just a good SSD), along with a good 10 series NVidia card, e.g. GTX1060/70/80. I'm an NVIDIA fanboy, but other architectures are fine too.

https://developer.techsoft3d.com/hoops/hoops-visualize/graphics-cards/ is a list of graphics cards, but pay attention to: "Note: Even if a device is not listed, it is supported as long as it provides full compliance with one of the Visualize-supported 3D driver interfaces and versions." So you won't see the GTX 10 series on there, but it works and is probably what you should aim for.

Roughly speaking, this may be a good starting point. It really depends on your budget. "Gaming" computers typically also excel at CAD software, where high single core performance is more important than having 12 cores etc, along with a good storage solution and decent RAM. Gaming laptops also tend to have better thermal solutions, which is important if you don't want your fancy, but overheating, processor to throttle and/or melt your leg. Though if your workflow is heavy on Keyshot for example, you may want to find a balance of core count and per-core performance, more cores being better for Keyshot, and faster cores being better for AD.

If you are getting a desktop, things become much easier, cheaper, and cooler (thermals). Let me know if you want some suggestions on those.

Bonus: if you're like me and don't keep up to date on everything in hardware land all the time, join Reddit and make a post on https://www.reddit.com/r/suggestapc/ with some of the details above, and people are really good about suggesting laptops/desktops that meet your performance and price constraints. It's a great resource.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019 at 4:45 AM
    KRELER likes this.
  13. lamar

lamar Senior Member

Max,

If you do not mind I would like a little info on a desktop computers, I was in the processes of upgrading also but now if the new release is going to require different hardware I would like to upgrade to what will be required to the next release. I am not looking for the latest and greatest just a good and fast computer that will run well with Alibre. I will defiantly be getting a SSD. The graphics cards are a little confusing with so many models to chose from. Any info. will help.

Thanks,

14. Max

Can you give me a rough idea of a budget number and do you need a pre-built system or can you build your own from scratch?

15. lamar

lamar Senior Member

I have built systems in the past but this round I was going to get a pre-built one. I like the Dell Precision workstation or the OptiPlex workstations. I have attached a screen shot of some of there scratch & dents.

16. Max

Can you get away with 256mb of disk space? If not, I'll focus on the 512s.

17. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Thank you for the info.

It happens that the specs you mention are about what I was aiming for, so that's OK. I'll have to check the graphics if other than NVIDIA. Yes, I do use Keyshot, so I am figuring on 6 core minimum.

Around here, the one step back machines are usually about 1/4 the cost of a new one with similar or marginally better performance, so I have done them 2 at a time.

I'm not crazy about SSD, they are integrated in, but I understand the speed advantages. HDDs have always been reliable enough, just slower. In fact, this backup machine I was able to be up and running with in a few minutes, because the MB had failed, and the HDD was swapped. Not usual with SSD.

18. lamar

lamar Senior Member

Max.

I would prefer the 512s or more. I also plan to put a 2 TB hard drive for extra storage with a 4TB external backup drive.

19. Max

Early gen SDDs were certainly unreliable - the new ones are quite reliable as the tech is now pretty mature. We run all mission critical stuff on Alibre on SSDs, if that's worth anything, including our website.

20. Max

Of the 512's...

A/B have good processors - C does not - kill C. C also has inferior storage.

B has too much RAM (wasted $), unless you're doing 4k video editing or things like that.

Both A and B have low end workstation graphics cards. This may, or may not, be able to eek out every bit of performance you're after. If you are staying within these machines, my suggestion is buy A (before you do, let me vet that specific card with our partner), and budget around $250-300 for a midrange graphics card in the future if you eventually find you want one. You may not need it.

NVIDIA came out recentlyish with their 20X line, the next gen from the 10X line that I'm recommending. However, for a few reasons I won't get into here, the 20X line is not mature enough for the 10X prices to significantly drop. Also once the crypto-currency folks just stop it already, prices will drop. Within a year they probably will be quite competitive for a GTX1080 for example. So my bet is that A will be a great machine, and will probably offer great graphics performance day to day. YMMV if you work with 3000 part assemblies and want all the fancy view stuff to be on all the time. It just depends.

upload_2019-3-20_14-34-46.png