1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alibre Atom3d angular dimensions in drawing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fw101, Mar 17, 2020.

1. fw101

fw101 Member

I have a 14 in. dia. circular plate with three center holes at a radius of 5 in. from the center of the plate.
    The center holes are positioned 120 deg apart from each another.
    I have included the part file and the drawing file to show what I am talking about.

Is it possible in Atom3d to show an angular dimension of 120 deg between center holes A, B and C? (see drawing)

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

To solve the immediate issue:
    Sketch a line from the center of the plate to hole B. Then place an angle dimension between the angled line and the vertical line at hole A.
    IF you can select the center lines and edit them then you can edit the center lines at hole B, change the angle to 60 degrees then dimension from the angled center line to the vertical line.

IF Atom3D has the facility, use a package file the next time you need to upload a drawing. It is found in either the File menu or under the Gem.
    A package file will include all the related items for a drawing or an assembly.

3. fw101

fw101 Member

Thank you Harold for the suggestion to use a line.
    Atom3D has the ability to create package files. I will use that the next time I upload a drawing.

Frank

4. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Frank -- I may be wrong here as I have no experience with Atom3D, but I define a Layer in all my Drawings to be "invisible" such that I can locate "construction aids" on that layer and not have them interfere with the Drawing for those who use it. -- Lew

simonb65 likes this.
  5. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

Frank,
    I had a quick look at the sketch for the hole pattern on you base part and noticed that two of the circles in each pattern location are not constrained. One way to make sure the sketches don't get accidentally moved is to fully dimension them in place. Another way, and one I prefer to use in my design work , is to locate the first sketch circle and create the hole. Then pattern the hole feature about its center hole. Then pattern that pattern with its seed feature(s) to complete the part. Sadly Alibre does not do a very good job of placing bolt circle center lines on drawings so you end up with the issue that you've run into, namely having to create extra sketch geometry on the drawing to fully dimension the part.
    SKETCH CIRLCLES NOT CONTRAINED.png

6. fw101

fw101 Member

Thanks Lew and Harold for your helpful suggestions. I will give both of them a try.

Frank