1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alibre 2019 update, printing to PDF (large file sizes & text not selectable)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kevin.z, Jul 30, 2019.

1. kevin.z

kevin.z New Member

Hi all,

Has anyone else noticed the change to the drawing environment since the recent 2019 update how all the drawing that are printed to PDF are very large in file size? Also, the text in the pdf is no longer selectable by highlighting.

As a comparison, on average they use to be <1mb, and now is around several mB each.

It seems like the drawing/drafting environment has changed and hence the PDFs, it's much slower.
    It also takes significantly longer to view PDFs, which is very inconvenient when the PDF contains a complicated assembly. It was never like this beforehand.

MichaeeeL and albie0803 like this.
  2. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

Yes, this needs fixing and fast! :mad:

cadtec and MichaeeeL like this.
  3. PPi

PPi Member

There's something funky going on. First, I love the fact that also 2D side is getting updates. It just isn't there quite yet. First I thought I can finally extract proper vector images for instruction manuals etc from pdf, but in addition to not completely transparent backgrounds (you will get these white blocks which will be visible unless background is completely white), the bitmap shading is done several times which of course is neither needed nor necessary but only increases file size. I have a demonstration attached here.

Also, the text isn't text but some generated paths that end up to form the character. Therefore it isn't recognized by search or whatsoever. NOTE: You need to open the image in full resolution to see the paths that are illustrated with faint grey lines.

So far I like the idea of what we'll be getting from the latest update, but it isn't ready just yet.

simonb65 and NateLiqGrav like this.
  4. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

It also make the text shape less precise (and in some cases just plain awful), file sizes much bigger and drawing/rendering much slower! Not sure why text is handled in this way, it just seems totally counter-intuitive from a graphics rendering point-of-view.

albie0803 likes this.
  5. PPi

PPi Member

Another note that I just want to document here. If you use "Publish to PDF", interestingly only vertical or horizontal dimension lines are vectors. Diagonal lines and arrowheads are both raster images, with very coarse but mostly adequate resolution. However, if I print the image to any PDF printer, now diagonal lines appear to be vectors, but arrowheads have bitmap infill while still having vector outlines. Again, that may work for most, but scaling that PDF or using this as a source for any manual or another document where scaling may happen, this will look plain ugly.

6. cadtec

cadtec Member

We can confirm that by increasing the file size:
    From version 2019 the PDF files will be about 4-6 times larger.
    Question 1: Can I go back to the old PDF output?
    Question 2: When will the settings for PDF export be available?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  7. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Question 1: Enable Legacy Display.

8. cadtec

cadtec Member

Hello David,

Thank you very much for an answer.
    Yes, I know that, but that is not the solution.
    The customer has several workstations and can't always go back to the old graphics engine, create a PDF and back to the HOOPS graphics and that every time combined with a restart.

That's why I specify question 1 as follows:
    Can I switch to the old PDF output while retaining the new HOOPS graphic?
    Question 2 remains. (When will the settings for PDF export be available?)

Best regards,
    André

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Eddy So likes this.
  9. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

Well maybe it would help if you included the full question... not just half of it - the new answer is No.

2. Has anybody said that they will ? What settings are you referring to?

10. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

This should mostly be addressed in about 10 days ish.

cadtec and simonb65 like this.
  11. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member