1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A suggestion re default values for chamfer and fillet tools

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigseb, May 13, 2020.

1. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Something that's been bugging me about Alibre since forever:

When I start a new part and want to add a chamfer or a fillet the default value in the box is 0.25mm. This is really annoying as in the metric world we don't use fractions. I set my increments to 0.1 in the settings but it doesn't help if the starting value is 0.25mm.

I know why it is 0.25, that's how the imperial system used by the US works. The entire rest of the world uses metric. Fix it please.

cadtec, TimoCAD, MilesH and 1 other person like this.
  2. simonb65

simonb65 Alibre Super User

A setting somewhere to allow the user to be able to set a default values would be the best solution .. or just remember the last value used as the value for a new fillet/radius!

MilesH, Hunter and anson like this.
  3. Hunter

Hunter Member

I also vote for last value.

0.25 mm is as arb as using pi()

4. JST

JST Alibre Super User

Last value is better, since it gives a better chance that you will not need to change it.

BTW.... Metric uses fractions all the time! 0.1 (1/10) is just as good a fraction as 0.25. There is such a thing as a 1.25 mm thread pitch, for instance.

5. Hunter

Hunter Member

I'm just saying that a 0.25 mm chamfer seems a waste of time. That is better dealt with by a note stating to deburr, for that size. A minimum practical see size would be 2 or 2.5 mm. Anyway, not important.

6. simonb65

All depends on the size of the object you're modelling. You're assuming we all model big mechanical parts. For me, I 3D model electronic components where some parts are no bigger than 3 or 4mm, so even 0.25mm is a huge chamfer!

7. simonb65

8. dwc

dwc Alibre Super User

I make watch movements, if I chamfer 2 or 2.5 mm the parts are gone.
    Finding a default value that works for everyone is impossible, last value is the best solution IMHO.
    (I have mechanical engineer collegues who think that the smallest screw size is M4. I tell them that a M4 screw looks more like raw mateial to me and they don't believe it when I show them a M0.4 screw. Different worlds!)
    Don

simonb65 likes this.
  9. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Hunter -- I am with you. I regularly apply a ".010 inch X 45° Chamfer" to "corners" of partss under the Feature Description "Break sharp edges (Typ)." -- Lew