1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D printing - thinking of buying a machine...

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by jhiker, Sep 17, 2019.

1. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Speaking as a Photon owner:
    • Spares: I can get these directly from Anycubic in China or from Amazon. I use Amazon since I have Prime and get it next day. I personally feel the spares are well priced.
    • The Anycubic supply their own slicer. Most users switch to Chitubox (seems to be the Simplify3D of SLA/DLP slicers). Chitubox has far superior support structures, allows hollowing of models and the addition of drainage holes. Both slicers allow for 3rd party resins.
    • You can use just about any resin. I stick to Anycubic blue and gray, mainly because of price but also because they are easy to work with (some resins are very unreliable). Anycubic resin generally goes for about £35/litre.
    The current array of DLP printers are pretty much exactly the same. In the end you pick a brand but the technology underneath is the same. Likewise for SLA printers.

2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Crib sheet!!.

^^ This has the settings for a variety resins, colours, layer heights, etc.

ajayre likes this.
  3. MikeHenry

MikeHenry Alibre Super User

Thanks Michael and BigSeb - lots of useful feedback and info in these recent posts. This seems to be a good time to start researching the mid-range DLP printers that are starting to come onto the market. For the budget-conscious, it seems that Anyphobic, Elegoo Mars, and Epax are all pretty much comparable. I'm starting to really dig into the research now and trying out various slicers as I find them and time allows.

bigseb likes this.
  4. aptivaboy

aptivaboy Senior Member

I just ordered an Epax X1 the other day. It should arrive on Thursday. In comparison prints, the Epax seems to produce parts with slightly more fidelity than the Elegoo Mars, although they both have the same guts. It seems that several printers are using the same basic parts from a supplier in China, then repackaging them with different cases, windows, etc. This would account for the varying print size, as well. Epax seems to include a more stable frame and claims to have no Z axis wobble. We shall see, but the higher quality prints made and shown on the Epax owners' Facebook page look nearly injection molded.

5. VoltsAndBolts

VoltsAndBolts Senior Member