1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D Printing Gallery

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by bigseb, Jul 2, 2014.

1. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

My latest. Darth Vader's Imperial Shuttle. Got it off Thingiverse.
    Material: Filaprint Premium PLA White
    Layer height: 0.1mm
    Print time: 44hrs

20180205_172344.jpg
    20180205_172349.jpg
    20180205_172356.jpg

2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

3. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

4. VoltsAndBolts

VoltsAndBolts Senior Member

Not too shabby.

5. RocketNut

RocketNut Alibre Super User

Very nice print.

6. hradford5

hradford5 Senior Member

7. RocketNut

yes, I have.

I worked and staged properly, but it appears the boost is a little too heavy. It staged only about 75 feet. I am trying to reduce its weight. I all ears for any suggestion that will help reducing its weight.

8. hradford5

hradford5 Senior Member

Can you print with carbon fiber reinforced nylon? I have been amazed at the weight difference, between PLA & nylon parts!

9. RocketNut

I think my printer (CR-10) can ,but if I understand it correctly I would need a enclosure to keep the model at the proper temp.

10. hradford5

hradford5 Senior Member

I don't use an enclosure and I print with it with no trouble. I think you need one for printing nylon that is not CF (carbon fiber). I don't remember, exactly, but the carbon fiber minimizes the shrinkage/warping, that you get from materials without it.

11. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

You'll need a hardened nozzle.

12. RocketNut

hradford5

What vendor did you buy your CF from?

bigseb

What nozzle would you recommend?

13. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

I bought a stainless steel nozzle once to test out. Was a nightmare. Bed adhesion is a totally different animal with non-brass nozzle. So honestly I can't really recommend one.

14. hradford5

hradford5 Senior Member

You need a hardened steel nozzle. I use 3DX Tech's CarbonX filament. I print at 265C and 90-100C for the bed.

15. hradford5

hradford5 Senior Member

Yeah, a stainless nozzle would be a nightmare, it has very low thermal conductivity.

16. RocketNut

bigseb

I hear you big time about bed adhesion has been a major pain in my backside too. I can not do 2 prints in a row without troubles. And right now I am having trouble with the nozzle. I bought some on eBay and cannot print, it plugs up even after a new nozzle I can not manually feed filament through it. I have gone through 12 nozzles without a single print!!!

hradford5

What printer are you using, mine is Creality CR-10? That is expensive filament, I am going to save up my pennies. My printer's max nozzle temp is 260C so I would have to upgrade the printer controller box.

Where can I get your harden nozzle?

==================================

I am very open mind to any suggests on how to keep these new nozzles from plugging up. Also, may I ask where you buy your nozzles from.

17. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Unfortunately as soon as you use filament with some kind of filler (metal flake/particles, fibres, wood, etc) clogging will be an issue. Try 0.6mm.

I get mine on Amazon.

18. RocketNut

Yes, you're correct about filled filament will plug up the nozzle very quickly. I am just using plain every day PLA filament without any filler. That why I am at wits end on what is causing this nozzle plugging.

bigseb could provide the a web link to the Amazon for the nozzles you bought?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  19. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Dude don't buy them: Stainless Steel Nozzle.

I assume you are printing on glass? Since you mention you are having adhesion problems I can recommend this: 3D Lac. This is the best stuff ever for adhesion.

20. RocketNut

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019