1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D Printed threads

Discussion in 'Using Alibre Design' started by dsage, Mar 21, 2021.

1. dsage

dsage Senior Member

I created a part with a hole with threads. But apparently that isn't enough in order 3D print that part with the threads? Am I correct. It would be such a PIA to have to do a helical cut etc. etc on every hole I need.
    What am I missing?

2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

You will have to have a thread in each hole. The thread tool's threads are just a visual representation, nothing more. Your optioms:
    - either model a thread (helical feature) for each hole or
    - model a thread for one hole and pattern or
    - create a male thread in a separate part and boolean subtract from each hole.
    Be aware that depending on your process and printer calibration you will need to add tolerances. For example, for my FDM printer I generally modelled female threads 0.2mm larger (OD). That means an M12 x 1.75 thread would have an OD of M12.2. Everything else like pitch and thread geometry would remain the same but I'd add 0.2mm to the OD.

3. dsage

dsage Senior Member

Thanks for your expertise on this.
    That's unfortunate. Because any number of mickey mouse CAD programs aimed at 3D printing can create threads easily.
    I don't mind chasing them to size if required.
    Maybe something for a future update.

4. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

Creating threads is not exactly difficult. More importantly you'll be able to create threads of any type to your exact specifications. Beware of prepackaged threads. And if you go the boolean route I mentioned above you will always be able to reuse them.

5. dsage

dsage Senior Member

Good points. I'll consider it.
    Thanks

6. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

I don't know it this was mentioned but, another way is to design a pocket for actual hardware to fit into, like a hex shape for hex nuts or hex head screws, then insert the hardware after the part is printed. some will even stop the print at a certain place, insert a nut, then proceed with the print, thereby embedding the fastener inside the printed part.

7. pridbor

pridbor Member

I piggy-backed on this thread and came up with some nice threads. Now it will be exciting to see if they come out as they should in the 3D process.

I have used all the methods mentioned above except for the inclusion of actual hardware, which I certainly will include at some point in time.

I had a little problem making the hole and the threaded rod coaxial, though!

I got around that by removing a bit of thread and constraining the "shaved" part with the hole, after that all went fine.

Thanks, both!!!

Preben

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  8. HaroldL

HaroldL Alibre Super User

You do realize that you can RMB click on the threaded rod and select Show Reference Geometry. Then you have access to the rod's axis that can be coaxially constrained to the hole. All without having to "shave" anything off the rod.

You can also add an axis to the hole and mate the two axes together.

pridbor likes this.