1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2D Drawing editor dimension size

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tom1, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Tom1

Tom1 Member

Is there a way to get the 2D Drawing editor to auto-size dimensions relative to the zoom factor, similar to the way it is handled in the Parts editor? Here's an example of what I'm seeing in the 2D Drawing editor...
    dim.gif

2. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Tpm -- No, a Drawing is a document intended to be printed out at a specific size. Text sizing needs to be set for readability at that "given size." -- Lew

Mika likes this.
  3. Tom1

Tom1 Member

Thanks for the clarification, Lew.
    In addition to making 3D objects, I also have a need to export 3D-based 2D drawings as *.dxf files that are to be used in my PCB layout program. I enjoy the ability to conveniently edit shapes in the Parts editor, but it has no direct *.dxf export for 2D drawing figures at the moment. I, along with a few other folks here, have requested that such an option be added. This would help in avoiding many copy/paste events between editors and/or trying to direct-edit drawings using the 2D editor and finding gigantic dimensions obscuring the view and slowing things down.
    Being somewhat lazy, I feel it would be nice to have all of my drawing needs met by Alibre Design in a convenient form. If not, maybe I'll look into a separate but easy-to-use program dedicated just to 2D; but I'd still like to avoid having to put up with different GUIs as much as possible. Stuff like this tires me out.

4. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

Hi Tom -- One aspect that I spend an inordinate amount of time explaining is the difference between a Model (proper 3D representation) and a Drawing (a 2D Document that conveys Design Intent). (A) I suggest that you adopt a "terminology" similar to that. (B) I spend a 100 or so hours/year converting DXF circuit diagrams to (a) Part Models and (B) "populated" Circuit Board Assemblies. [Everything I know about electronics can be summed up as, "Ohm's Law, Kirchoff's Law, Don Lancaster, and Forrest Mims III."] If you have a Drawing "tied" to your Part (or Assembly) Model then "updating" it and Exporting It as a DXF should be trivial. -- Lew