1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 not performing as quick

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigseb, Jul 23, 2019.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

2. matttay

matttay Member

2019 also feels sluggish to me. As I orbit around an assembly, once I stop moving the mouse it continues moving the assembly for 0.5 to 1 second, overshooting what I was aiming for.

I might not have graphics acceleration turned on. There was a setting in 2018 that allowed me to pick D3D or OpenGL I think. Often that was off and I never really had issues with performance because my assemblies are pretty simple. I tried to ensure it was on but can no longer find the setting for it. It is still there?

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

There has never been an OpenGL setting - Alibre has always been DirectX.

I was able to get rid of the lag on my laptop by tweaking the performance options, but never entirely on my desktop PC (larger display) - in the end I upgraded my video card.

4. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

I'm thinking I may need to upgrade also. Which video card did you get and how is it performing?

5. DavidJ

DavidJ Alibre Super User Staff Member

I went for a Nvidia GTX 1050Ti (4GB) - I chose on the basis of getting the best card I could whilst staying with passive cooling (to reduce the noise). This card was quite a leap in price from my previous choices - but certainly not 'high end' by current standards.

My previous GT610 was frustrating with AD2019, especially lag when rotating the workspace. The 1050Ti is wonderfully smooth and also gives better looking images. Note this is with a single 2560x1440 display - I have not used it with more than one monitor. I'd also caution that I wouldn't describe my own modelling as especially complex - so it may not be pushing the card very hard.

Max has posted some thoughts on graphics hardware, in the beta forum. Larger displays, multiple monitors, large and more complex models all push the card harder.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    oldfox and simonb65 like this.
  6. Desertrunner

Desertrunner Senior Member

Could some one direct me to the post were Max discusses the graphics as the up grade has made the software useless. I have twin large screens and I need to find a way around the problem.

7. Max

What resolutions are you running and what graphics card do you have? The list you refer to is a list of "supported" cards, but is not a list of "recommended for your setup" cards. If you're running 2 4k monitors at fullscreen, you will need a different solution than running two 1920x1080 monitors for example.

In the meantime, System Options > Display > Use Legacy Display will keep you up and running.

8. Desertrunner

Desertrunner Senior Member

Hi Max,
    I can't check that on the machine till next week as I am away from the office. when I do I will come back to you. Should add that I love the software we would be lost with out it. Alibre continually helps improve the profits in a processing factory.
    Tony

9. Max

Great to hear! Reach out to me at max@alibre.com if I'm not on the forum for a day or two.

10. Toybuilder

Toybuilder Member

I have a Quadro P2000 setup, with a 4K monitor, and just took the 2019 update (to 2019.2). My rotations feel very laggy, like I'm drunk, and I can't seem to speed it up! It's very beautiful while I'm not working, but this lag is going to drive me bonkers. :(

Update: Thankfully, the Use Legacy Display option solves the issue for now!

11. tk1247

tk1247 Member

Toybuilder, I have the same graphics setup using 2019.02, and have no lag. Items rotate as fast as I can move the mouse. Rotation by selecting views in the menu rotate slower like they always have. I'm running on a 4 core Xeon processor, 16G ram and SSD drives, Win10Pro, and a 32" 4K display.

12. Toybuilder

Toybuilder Member

Hmmm... I'm running a P52 with Xeon, 4-core, 64 GB, SSD, Win10 Pro "Memory" edition, 4K resolution with the notebook's display as an active secondary display.

I just went back to the new rendered after closing all other GPU using programs, and it's still sluggish.

upload_2019-8-6_17-27-38.png

Not sure where the problem is. Is there some kind of metrics gathering that can be turned on?

13. Toybuilder

Toybuilder Member

Hmmm, so after I rebooted the machine, the rendering is much faster. Fast enough to be regularly usable, but still feels a touch sluggish when the ambient occlusion is turned on. Before the reboot, it was sluggish even with ambient occlusion and other "quality" features turned off.

When I run using the legacy display mode, it was snappy even before the reboot.

That was weird.

14. Max

Hi Toybuilder, can you try something for me?

1) Start AD, and disable the use legacy rendering option, so you're on the new one.
    2) Close AD.
    3) Download this file, which is a prerelease build of 20051
    4) Install 20051
    5) In the ZIP file, you'll also see a file called Antialias_OFF.reg - run this file
    6) Start AD and let me know the performance difference, if any.

Ralf likes this.
  15. bcarlton

bcarlton Member

2019 does take longer to load and run big files. I've had several issues with AD2019 (both new versions). I routinely send parts and assemblies to colleagues who use Key Creator, Rhino or SolidWorks. The KC guys are saying that the .stp files (stp214) I send are no longer complete parts. They are more like a shrink-wrap. I don't see SolidWorks native or IGES as an output option anymore. They did finally fix the PDF output which has been broken since the last 'upgrade' and I like the quick section view by datum plane, but all in all, a net loss of performance. I'm going to try to go back to 2018, although I'm not sure how to do that.

16. Ralf

Ralf Alibre Super User

Hi bcarlton,

Please make sure you are using AD V2019.0.2 (Build 20050)
    +++
    Next step, please try: Use Legacy Display
    Restart AD an check again.

Use_Legacy_Display.png

17. Ralf

Ralf Alibre Super User

If you want, you can test this.

18. Max

2019 will take ~5-10% more time to open files than prior versions. For the STEP export, currently some helical / elliptical geometry is not being exported and we will have a fix for that shortly. So most stuff will be ok, but if you export something with threads for example there is a chance it will look strange when opened.

19. Toybuilder

Toybuilder Member

I'm going to hold off for the time being -- part of the performance problem may have been a temporary state of my machine -- I noticed that my power management was out of whack again (every so often, the system no longer turbo boosts even after a complete shutdown and power up), which seemed to have resolved after taking the latest vendor driver and BIOS updates.

After getting that resolved, and being in a freshly booted state, 2019.02 is running fast enough that I would be hard pressed to subjectively note the speed difference with the legacy display mode. Is there some kind of FPS counter that could be turned on, like with games?

Thank you for being so responsive, btw!

20. wsimonton

wsimonton Senior Member

Loading a large assembly with 2019 is slower than with 2018. The assembly in question has approximately 9,500 parts.

Time to to to Display Time until Menu's Clear (Usable)

2018 5:10 (Minutes & Secs) 6:50 (Minutes & Secs)

2019 5:45 (Minutes & Secs) 7:30 (Minutes & Secs)

About 9% Slower to Load

Not open for further replies.