1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019- List of New Features or Fixes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ynnek, Mar 5, 2019.

1. ynnek

ynnek Member

Is there any info on the new upcoming release?

2. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member

Soon! In fact an alpha is coming quite soon.

cadtec, simonb65, jfnewman and 7 others like this.
  3. jfnewman

jfnewman Member

How soon ;)

4. Max

The alpha will probably start within 7 days. I don't think we're going to make the alpha publicly available to everyone - there's some very specific testing we need some user feedback with. The alpha will last approximately 2 weeks. Then we'll take another week or two to circle the wagons, and then release a public beta.

5. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

So beta in a month? Awesomes!

6. oldfox

oldfox Alibre Super User

Depending on what the Alpha testers find.;)

7. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

mstevens and jfnewman like this.
  8. Lew_Merrick

Lew_Merrick Alibre Super User

9. jfnewman

jfnewman Member

upload_2019-3-14_14-32-56.png I see you ;)

10. NateLiqGrav

NateLiqGrav Alibre Super User

11. Max

Ha, that little guy won't be in 2019.0. He isn't finished cooking yet. Good eye though.

12. Max

13. Max

A few things here. DirectX 9, on which our previous pipeline was built, will end of life shortly. Our option was to custom write a new pipeline again (bad) or use a component.

We choose a component for a few reasons :
    1. They write graphics pipelines for a living
    2. They handle the (non trivial) video card testing
    The benefits are :
    1. Much better large assembly graphics performance. Going from 5 FPS to 25 for example is a huge feature to those that need it.
    2. It looks much nicer. You can argue this is not important but once you use it I bet you wouldn't go back.
    3. Some nifty things like fancy view styles. Many won't care about these, but they are basically "free" from a dev perspective so we will put them in
    This platform also sets us up to be able to do lots of things :
    1. Texturing, for whole parts but also for things like showing threads with images, a highly requested feature
    2. Bringing in an image onto a plane to trace over
    3. Arbitrary face coloring
    4. Draggable section views
    5. The list goes on
    So we didn't implement this to just "look pretty", though that is a nice side effect that you will enjoy :)

14. Ydl

Ydl Member

Yes please!

MKR likes this.
  15. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

Split face? ;)

16. Max

I said arbitrary not crazy! Email me your split face use case though max @ alibre.com .

17. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

]
    Nothing exotic! I was just wondering if the new graphics pipeline itself would solve the problem of Feature Colors on adjoining Features with contiguous faces......

MKR likes this.
  18. Max

No, that is a much more involved thing to tinker with. Question - what if the property of "make this feature its own set of faces" was at a feature level, such as a checkbox during feature creation, and not an inherent behavior. I can see lots of times where this would not be desired. Would that work? Still would have to do it, and wouldn't be for 2019.0, but perhaps would be easier (no promises).

19. MilesH

MilesH Alibre Super User

I'd be in favour of that, if it made implementation easier.

20. jhiker

jhiker Alibre Super User

Does the 'arbitrary face colouring' thing have any implications for Keyshot?