1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

18 FT Skiff!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GIOV, Nov 19, 2020.

1. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

2. bigseb

bigseb Alibre Super User

What's the Alibre connection?

3. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

It's General Discussion. Only I do like show a fabulous sailing race in Auckland. May be in the near future will see the Alibre logo in the spinnaker in one word cup race from a forum corporate project with albie0803 as skipper! :)

4. albie0803

albie0803 Alibre Super User

I have been to Auckland (on holidays), I have sailed 18' skiffs (1 long weekend in my teens - sailing camp), but me as skipper in a race? I don't have that sort of money! :)

5. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Talk with Max and the rest we develop the vessel in a corporate group! So you need a lot of training!:) In the mean, send data of the vessel that you have able to reach.:) to start with part & assembles file classified as 18' Skiff Open Alibre Project.:)

6. GIOV

GIOV Alibre Super User

Well,
    In my free time I find this resource for design the Skiff Hull 2020
    So, the important for now is the maximum displacement that allow led as solid ballast. The equation is achieve the hull minimum weight and in the bottom hull the maximum lead solid ballast so the Vcg will be at minimum feasible following the rule.
    Maximum WL Length= 5486 mm (18 Ft)?
    Maximum Beam= 2000 mm (6'6 -3/4")?
    Maximum Hull Dry Weight=170kg ( 374.7854 lb)*
    *a) The all up dry weight of a boat shall be not less than 170kg. b) Boats shall be weighed including the Hull rigged with the No.1 mast, No1 rig sails, wings, rudder, tiller extensions, centreboard and all sheets and equipment normally on board when sailing (but excluding spares, tools and non-essential items). c) Lead weight correctors shall be used to bring a boat up to the minimum weight and shall be placed close to the centre line of the skiff and permanently fastened in the following percentages of the total weight required:
    i) 10% not aft of the forward face of the bowsprit; ii) 60% with the centres of the correctors not aft of the mast; and iii) 30% on the rudder frame with the centres of the correctors not forward of the aft most vertical face of the transom.
    Comments:
    1.-Its is very sensitive know the weight of the letter b and c to achieve more solid ballast described in c.
    2.-The rule don't give maximum hull length.
    3.- The rule don't give Maximum LWL& Maximum Hull Beam.
    So I need someone to help in the right interpretation.
    Some gral data are: (But doesn't confirmed because need follow the rule interpretation to define well the hull before see the sail rule.)
    Crew
    3 (triple trapeze)
    Hull
    Hull weight 155 kg (342 lb)
    LOA 8.9 m (29 ft)
    LWL 5.49 m (18.0 ft)
    Beam 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in)
    Sails
    Jib/genoa area 9.28 m2 (99.9 sq ft)
    Spinnaker area Unlimited, typically
    61–73 m2 (660–790 sq ft)
    Upwind sail area Unlimited, typically
    26–32 m2 (280–340 sq ft)

May be albie0803 helps in these data from Brisbane 18 Footers Club.
    https://brisbane18footers.com/
    That is for now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020 at 12:54 AM