1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rack

Rack

02 Aug 2020

02 Aug 2020

02 Aug 2020

02 Aug 2020

02 Aug 2020
bigseb, Aug 2, 2020
    • HaroldL
      Well, that's scary.:eek: Did you have anyone in mind to be put on this?
      What's next? Iron Maiden? Stocks? Those medieval folks sure had some wicked torture devices.
    • bigseb
      @HaroldL Been watching some documentaries on the middle ages and this chap came up. Here in the UK (and the rest of Europe) these things tend to come up a bit more often I guess and there are several on exhibit. Anyway I saw it and thought why not. Was an interesting project to model and render as I don't normally get to play around with wood and old rusty metal chains and stuff. Personally I think Keyshot woods aren't that realistic so it was challenging. Will I do more? Maybe.
    • HaroldL
      I like to use KeyShot's Procedural wood instead of the Traditional texture since it gives you and end grain. It does take a bit of fussing with the settings to get the result you want.
      Have you used or heard Spiral Graphics Wood Workshop? I recall that a long time ago Ralf (?) posted an image of a old wood crate with light beams coming out of it that he made using Wood Workshop. It looked pretty realistic to me. Too bad the image was posted on the old forum and I cannot find it now.
      bigseb likes this.
    • bigseb
      @HaroldL did not know that about the end grain. I'm gonna try that tonight still. Cheers for the tip!!!
    • bigseb
      @HaroldL Been playing around with the procedural wood like you you suggested and hit a wall. With the traditional wood I could add the wood to each part and then rotate the texture on each part so the grain would line up the way I wanted. With the procedural wood that doesn't seem to work i.e. when I try to rotate the texture on one part it always rotates the texture on all parts. Its not behaving the same way. Any ideas on how to get around this?
    • HaroldL
      Seb, It sounds like your materials are linked. You will need to unlink them so you can edit each part individually. Select one or more parts in the model, either in the realtime view or from the scene tree, then RMB click in the realtime view and select Unlink Material from the popup menu. Now you can edit the material for each part.

One way to make sure the materials are not linked when you send the assembly to KeyShot is to assign a different color to each part in Alibre. IF all parts are the same color in Alibre then KeyShot will interpret them as the same material. The model may look weird in Alibre with all the different colors but it will make applying KeyShot materials easier. To that point if you have parts that you want to be the same material in KeyShot them make them the same color in Alibre. (I'm thinking fasteners are the likely suspects here.)

To edit the material I usually double click a part in the realtime view then, in the Texture section of the Material tab, select to center the material on the part. Once the material is centered I make my adjustments with the Move Texture tool to get the look I think is best for the part. In order to save time editing the remaining parts I will copy the edited material (RMB>Copy Material) then paste it to another part (RMB>Paste Unlinked Material). Then I make some small adjustments to the texture location to add some variation to the material.

There are some Tutorials over on the KeyShot web site that you may want to have a look at. They also started a new video series called KeyShot Essentials. Take a look at Materials 101.
      Here's the section in Materials 101 that talks about linking and unlinking materials.
      bigseb likes this.
    • VoltsAndBolts
      I always wondered what you did for fun....
    There are no comments to display.